Child Rights Advisor
Plan International, Yaounde, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Child Rights Advisor (CRA) is a member of the Programme Support Team (PST) and assists Programme Units (PUs) management and frontline staff in designing and management of Child rights related interventions. S/he also supports Plan management in supporting the achievements of the deliverables of the management team and coach partners and communities to develop a greater understanding of issues related to Child rights and child rights programming;
He/she will perform the following tasks:
- Participation to the development of the CSP strategic note and the identification of key priorities and strategies for the remaining 2 years of the CSP and the CP to ensure that Child rights related matters and resources are properly analyzed; gaps identified and appropriate measures are taken to address the gaps.
- In collaboration with Programme Units Managers (PUMs) and the Resource Mobilization Task Force
- (RMTF) ensuring that promotion of children rights including child protection (CP) are considered in the development of the proposals/concept notes for mainstreaming CR and CP into programming including in emergency situation.
- Ascertain that CBCPM (Community Based Child Protection Mechanisms) Child Centered Community
- Development (CCCD) standards are included in projects (including emergency context) management, ensuring a holistic programming.
- Strengthening of reporting and responding mechanisms to identified child abuse cases, especially at the community level, with a liaison between community child protection committees, CSOs and Government services at local and national levels
- Capacity building for children and youth (boys and girls), parents and community groups and selected partners on child protection including rolling out of Plan’s CPP, with focus on abuse (sexual and physical) which widely spread in some of our PUs.
- Participation to national Protection and child rights cluster and sector meeting as well as strategic meetings with the government to raise Plan International Cameroon profile as CR organization and ensure gaps are addressed in national polices and strategies.
- Field visits to compare and report on consistency between actual implementation process and established/agreed strategies and guidelines for all child rights related projects and programmes and provide clear advice to address gaps. The visits will also help to observe trends progress towards the achievement of Programme goal and objectives.
- Representation of Plan Cameroon in all relevant fora and be fully acquainted with Government policies in the Child rights sector so that to be informed at real time to ensure that Plan Cameroon remains continuously informed of child rights including protection related matters.
Qualification and Experience
- Degree in Social sciences, Law / humanitarian law preferable or its equivalents.
- At least 2 years working experience in similar position.
- Be bilingual (French and English);
- Good knowledge in human right based approach to development, gender matters and CRC
- Demonstrate experience in developing strategies and designing programmes
- Demonstrate ability to assess best practice, document and disseminate lessons
- Ability to network at high levels
- Excellent planning and organizational abilities
- Good supervisory and listening abilities
- Open to feedback and willingness to adopt to new approaches and processes
- Ability to inter-face with all levels of management and field staff
- Good team player
- High effective networking
- High ability to enhance children’s participation in activities
- Communicates clearly and effectively
Skills needed for the position
- Good communication and ICT skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Good analytical and budgeting skills
- Good negotiations skills
- Excellent writing and reporting skills