United Nations Development Programme , Beijing, China
Closing Date for Applications:
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UNDP promotes sustainable development to help build resilient nations and to empower people to build better lives. UNDP has drawn on world-wide experience for over four decades to assist China both in developing solutions to its own ongoing development challenges, and in its south-south cooperation (SSC) and engagement in global sustainable development.
- As the largest developing country, a leader in SSC, the largest GHG emitter, and a dominant investor in other countries in carbon-heavy sectors, China has a decisive impact on global outcomes. Its decisions will play a key role in addressing climate change at the national and global levels. The neutrality pledge, as well as the 14th five-year plans, provide a unique opportunity for UNDP to accompany this policy change.
- In this context, UNDP is looking for a Climate Researcher to strengthen the effectiveness and impact of UNDP’s support to China’s climate agenda. He or she will collaborate with programme colleagues and work closely with the research team on developing policy-relevant knowledge products related to climate change and Nature-based solutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall supervision of the International Economist, and working as part of the Policy and Research team, with guidance from the Asia Pacific Chief Economist, the Climate Researcher will be responsible for conducting research related to low carbon transition and nature-based solutions. The climate researcher will perform the following technical tasks:
- Initiate and conceptualize research in climate-related areas, such as: climate change mitigation and adaptation and the low carbon transition; nature-based solutions; renewable and modern energy; environmental governance; carbon footprint analysis and green/circular/sharing economy;
- Provide effective data analysis on environment-related topics and carbon footprint measurements to support the formulation of evidence-based knowledge products;
- Draft research papers, policy briefs and publications in collaboration with the research team on selected topics;
- Provide technical advice and inputs to programme colleagues on possible policy and strategic gaps during the formulation of projects and knowledge products under the Planet Pillar;
- Support internal capacity building on climate related issue, including developing a climate related newsletter and organizing training/knowledge sharing sessions for colleagues;
- Other specific tasks assigned by senior management.
- A proven track record in providing high-quality analysis and policy advice in areas such as: climate change mitigation and adaptation and low carbon transition; nature-based solutions; renewable and modern energy; environmental governance and green/circular economy.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and capacity to lead and conduct research in related area independently.
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and value and display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships, as well as proven solid result-orientation.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- An advanced degree (Master’s or equivalent) in climate science, environmental studies, natural resources management, or related social sciences areas.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of climate change, natural resources management, nature-based solution or carbon footprint measurement.
- Understanding of the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN and UNDP and previous experience in international organisations would be an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is desirable.