Common Security Assistant
United Nations Development Programme, Ulan Bator, Mongolia
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall guidance of the Country Security Focal Point and direct supervision of (i) Local Security Associate (LSA) in the common security areas and (ii) Common Premises Coordinator (CPC) on the premises security matters, the Common Security Assistant performs a variety of standard common security and administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
The Common Security Assistant works in collaboration with the operations, programme and project staff in the CO to exchange information and ensure consistent services delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Common Security related:
- Monitors security and safety incidents and movement of the UN agencies personnel during field trips through HF/VHF Communications Network following the established procedures, UN rules and regulations;
- Advises users of the VHF/HF Network to comply with standard procedures of communications and provides guidance when deemed necessary;
- Ensures that all UN agencies cost shared equipment placed under his/her responsibility is in good working condition; he/she should be able to conduct basic maintenance of equipment or make arrangement for prompt replacement of parts/equipment;
- Maintains accurate and up-to date inventory records of telecommunications equipment and keeps track of their locations. He/she must ensure that necessary stock is maintained at proper level;
- Maintains accurate and up-to date logs/records of Earthquake preparedness supply and equipment and serves as a main focal point for the inventory reporting as per UNDP IPSAS mid-year and year-end certification process;
- Maintains a station log where all occurrences related to the operation of the UN ECS are entered including information about every movement of UN staff members and UN vehicles;
- Conducts programming of telecommunications equipment for all UN Agencies;
- Supports the LSA in ensuring UN safety and security related issues;
- Performs duties assigned by UNDSS Regional Office
UN Premises Security and Access Control to UN House:
- Monitors performance of UN House security guards to ensure strict adherence to the UN access control policy and procedures;
- Ensures all access control (entrance, exit etc.) activities are accurately and completely recorded in the Visitors log, Cargo log and Equipment In/out Log by security guards;
- Monitors the security guards’ performance in accordance to the UN security policies and procedures framework. In close consultation with security contractor representative, he/she assures that the security guards are well aware of UN Office Emergency and Security Procedures, procedures to control and conduct physical security for the premises, use of equipment and operation of the automated alarm and video surveillance systems;
- Liaises daily with the Security Contractor Representative and Agency Security Focal Points;
- Compiles and submits weekly (when required) and monthly reports of the Security Guard Force in support of Security Advisor’s activities and statistics;
- Maintains delivery and backup of security related CCTV data;
- Maintains and monitors daily security guards entrance log;
- Supports the CPC to liaise with the service providers regarding the regular maintenance of the security equipment including access control, CCTV, and exterior lights
- Maintains fire alarm system, ensures functioning of fire extinguishers and replaces them as they reach the expire date and acts as a fire warden;
- Performs as an elevator operator of the UN house;
- Performs other related duties as required and reports for duty as and when necessary (on call);
- Designs and produces ID cards for the UN staff, their relevant family members and project personnel; plans and requests required materials for ID printer;
- Monitors Access Control system and provides the UN staff and visitors with proximity cards; processes attendance reporting when required;
- Conducts programming of proximity cards and maintains data base.
Support LSA in ensuring:
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices, and asset;
- Delivers security briefing to newly arrival UN staff and dependents;
- Backstopping LSA when she is absent from the office
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant field, specialized training in radio communications and security is an asset.
- Min 3 years of work experience in the relevant field.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Mongolian