Under the supervision of the UN Women Program Coordinator in Senegal and in close collaboration with the communication team of the regional office, the Communication analyst will provide support in the formulation and implementation of a communication strategy. and advocacy to increase the visibility of the results of UN Women in Senegal among partners, donors, authorities, media and other stakeholders.
This role covers the four priority thematic areas of UN Women, namely:
- Economic empowerment of women;
- Peace, security and humanitarian action;
- Political participation, leadership and gender sensitive governance;
- Gender-based violence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and ensure the implementation of a Communication and Advocacy Strategy for the Senegal Program
- Develop a communication and advocacy strategy to support the Senegal Program. This strategy, based on the strategy of the Regional Office, should emphasize the communication of results, press relations and the development of partnerships;
- Support the advocacy activities carried out by the Senegal Program with beneficiaries and decision-makers to improve the visibility of the Country Program.
- Ensure synergy with communication from the Regional Office and the United Nations system;
Ensure the development of communication and advocacy tools and supports
- Develop communication tools and supports, documents, project sheets, brochures, to promote the visibility and results of the Senegal Program in accordance with the UN Women graphic charter
- Ensure the production of visibility materials for UN Women events and activities in Senegal
- Follow up with printers and graphic designers;
- Create, feed and update a database (images and videos) of the Senegal Program;
Contribute to the production of food content for the UN Women website and social networks
- Identify and produce articles, images, videos portraits and testimonials of participants in the activities of the Senegal Program by following the editorial formats of UN Women.
- Write and transmit articles, images and videos on Senegal Program initiatives;
- Have the productions approved by the Senegal Program Coordinator and share with the regional office to feed the website;
- Coordinate the publication of a periodic newsletter on the activities of the Program.
- Contribute to the writing of talking points and speeches for the program coordinator and the Regional Director
Provide support in the management of press relations to the Coordinator of the Senegal Program of UN Women
- Develop the partnership between the national media and the Senegal Program of UN Women;
- Write and periodically distribute press releases on the activities and strategic results of the Senegal Program;
- Ensure the monitoring of national media (press, broadcasts, social networks, etc.) relating to the priority areas of UN Women and share them within the Senegal Program and with the WCARO regional office.
Facilitate knowledge management and documentation sharing
- Ensure the good flow of information within the Senegal Program;
- Contribute to documenting good practices and lessons learned in the implementation of the program and projects in Senegal;
- Make a quarterly report of activities and results in terms of Communication to be presented to the Senegal Program Coordinator.
- Participate in meetings of the United Nations system communication group, contribute to the implementation and consideration of gender in the joint communication plan of the UNS.
- Perform any other task that the Senegal Program Coordinator assigns to her as needed;
- Respond to ad hoc requests from WCARO and HQ for deliverables.
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women's empowerment
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to engage different audiences and gain engagement from them
Required Skills and Experience
- Hold a university degree (Master) in Communication, Social Sciences, Political Sciences and / or any other field related to communication and advocacy.
- Or an undergraduate university level in communication, social sciences, political science and / or other field related to communication and advocacy combined with two years of experience additional to the number of years of experience required
- Have at least three (03) years of experience working in the organizations communication, social and advocacy sector, with copies of the work performed to be provided;
- Proven communication skills for donors and high level partners.
- Knowledge and achievements in the field of gender, the fight against gender-based violence and the economic empowerment of women, are an asset
- Experience working with the United Nations System is an asset.
- Good oral and editorial communication skills to produce reports, press releases in French and English;
- Have verbal and interpersonal skills and the professional ability to adapt to the styles and hierarchies of different partners;
- Have a good knowledge of the media environment in Senegal;
- Proficiency in common office applications: MS Office, internet and other publishing software including social media. Working knowledge of the Adobe Suite an asset.
- An excellent command of French and English, both written and spoken, is essential.
- Fluency in a local language (Wolof)