Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Knowledge Management is a central component of the Spotlight Initiative in Afghanistan. The objectives of the Knowledge Management Strategy will be: 1) to increase awareness and understanding of the SI’s implementation and impact in Afghanistan; (2) to communicate and share good practices and lessons that emerge through the implementation of the SI interventions (3) to generate local, context-specific knowledge on ‘what works’ and ‘what does not work’ to be shared on regional and global virtual knowledge platforms and (4) to strengthen women’s rights groups’, civil society groups’, and government’s capacity to generate, disseminate and use EVAWG knowledge.
As such, the Communications and Knowledge Management Officer (CKMO) will be responsible for leading and managing the following activities in keeping with the Knowledge Management Framework to be developed:
- Knowledge capture: Collate the evidence-base on Spotlight Pillars from existing national and global resources and conduct a situation analysis to improve understanding of EVAWG in the country
- Address knowledge gaps: Support the design of activities to specifically meet identified knowledge gaps
- Monitoring and Evaluation lessons learned: Working with the M&E and Reporting Advisor, strategize how to identify and share innovative, context-specific monitoring and evaluation strategies of all Spotlight activities to determine ‘what works’ and ‘what does not work’. This knowledge will be shared on regional and global knowledge platforms to encourage peer support, collaborative problem-solving and strategizing, and the sharing of tools and other resources.
- Dissemination and Public Engagement: In coordination with the Senior Coordination Officer and the RCO’s Communications and Advocacy Officer, communicate and share good practices and lessons that emerge through the implementation of the SI interventions and establish participatory mechanisms with multiple stakeholders to continually assess and discuss what works and what does not.
- Build Knowledge Management Capacities: As requested, conduct national and/or regional knowledge exchange workshops on particular topics/practice to strengthen institutional capacity to generate disseminate and use knowledge products.
- S/He will ensure that the outputs from M&E are translated into knowledge that informs programme implementation and reporting, and that KM activities are closely aligned with the SI Communication and Visibility Strategy.
- A baseline survey will be conducted under this joint program by the RUNOs. Portfolio reviews for this program involving donors, community beneficiaries will be conducted to ensure that RUNO agencies “pause and reflect” on its implementation.
- Strengthen knowledge management by tracking the implementation of this programme and disseminate advocacy messages and good practices.
- Produce knowledge products and ensure that products (such as the baseline reports, mid-term reviews, etc.), are disseminated through various levels and platforms.
- Develop a Knowledge Management Strategy, focusing on (i) identifying knowledge gaps by assessing and undertaking a mapping of existing knowledge management activities, guidelines and tools within the RCO and the RUNOs; (ii) expanding flow of knowledge and information on Spotlight; (iii) contributing to and sharing best practices and knowledge; (iv) effectively communicating and liaising with all RUNO agencies to integrate knowledge management in their systems and processes; and (v) ensuring a constant and consistent flow of information gathered on the quality of the SI including human interest/life changing stories.
- S/He will work closely with the RCO’s Communication and Advocacy Officer and Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Officer, to build the data processes and generate information on the SI and its linkage to other ongoing UN initiatives in Afghanistan.S/He will also work closely with the Communications/Knowledge Management focal points within the RUNOs to ensure cohesive messaging and data exchange.
- S/He will be assigned to the RCO, reporting directly to the Senior Coordination Officer, and the overall guidance of the Head/RCO.
- With the Communications Officers in the RCO and RUNOs, create, promote and maintain public information campaigns on the SI.
- Provide content management support on SI (consistency of materials, translations etc.) to the RCO Communications and Advocacy Officer (CAO) for the One UN website ensuring accuracy of information prior to posting, making sure that relevant information is clearly presented, relevant and continuously updated.
- Manage social media under the guidance of the CAO in line with corporate web and social media policy; monitor the effectiveness of social media.
- Prepare translations of documents in Dari/Pashto as requested.
- Ensure clear, coherent and consistent communication about the role, strategic focus and activities of the RUNOs in the SI.
- Produce well written/quality materials that enhance external and internal communication
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) preferred in Communications, Media, Journalism, Literature, Arts, Social Sciences, Humanities, Social Science or related field; or a Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with additional two years of relevant experience.
Required experience: 60 Months
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in related areas, with at least 2 years of experience in designing, implementing, supporting and advising in public outreach and communication strategies is required.
- Experience in the usage of media technology, social media for public information, and good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Professional experience in external relations and/or as a journalist an asset.
- Experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy an asset;
- Knowledge of development and humanitarian processes and the interests of stakeholders in supporting the process (including media and CSO sectors) desirable;
- Leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate others, involve all members of a team, inspire a sense of ownership and responsibility among staff, and elicit consistently high-quality output;
- Ability to meet challenges, constructively and creatively;
- Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to undertake multiple tasks.
- Fluent oral and written English is required;
- Fluent oral and written Pashto and/or Dari languages required
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Access etc.) required, with desktop publishing experience highly desirable;
- Videography, photography skills highly desirable;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of national counterparts;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Other communications related experience