Danish Refugee Council, Mogadishu, Somalia
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall purpose of the role:
The position is area focus and the post-holder will be a member of the DRC Somalia/Somaliland team and focus on communications; media advocacy, knowledge generation, management and promoting shared learning among actors. He/she will also support development of content and communication material. He/she will capture and consolidate project activities and success stories to be shared with relevant actors.
- Help in development and implementation of DRC Somalia Communications strategy to showcase project interventions along with knowledge generations, sharing and dissemination.
- Design dynamic and engaging visuals for social media platforms, publications, events material and signage, infographics, data visualizations, icons, brochures, flyers, report covers, layout and dashboards.
- Play a role on engaging with the national and local level media channels to highlight and advocate project objectives through talk shows, special reports, packages, and news items.
- Inform, educate, and persuade journalists, media community and opinion makers through workshops, formal and informal meetings to help advocate project objectives to relevant stakeholders.
- Capture the events and project activities and present them at various communication platforms to raise awareness along with showcasing the project impact.
- Ensure documentation and consolidation of human-interest stories, which can be communicated externally.
- Create and develop IEC materials with the support from the communication department.
- Provide up to date content for DRC social media platforms.
- Research, prepare, fact-check, edit and produce professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via DRC communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Develop graphic content, including video and audio including but not limited to infographics, social media visuals, video scripts and storylines.
- Ensure adequate communication coverage, through a variety of tools (written, video/audio, social, media) of project activities and products, deliverables, objectives and results to key donors, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
- Draft human impact stories working in conjunction with Comedications, Team Leader and keeping sensitive to needs of both internal and external audiences.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by Line Manager.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 2 years' experience working in communications and/or advocacy with international NGO
- University Degree or Diploma in communication, journalism or similar or equivalent professional qualification
- Good Graphic design skills (Adobe Illustrator, Photo Shop and In Design)
- Excellent oral and written skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communication and advocacy materials
- Professional communication skills, including social media and other media skills, plus strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential), and familiarity with working in multimedia contexts
- Fluency in Somali language
- Advanced English proficiency
- Arabic speaking person is an added advantage.