MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities.
The Mali Justice Project (MJP) is a major USAID initiative to enhance efficiency in the justice sector and increase access to justice and to support the Government of Mali to reduce corruption along the trade corridors. MSI leads one of the three components of the project focused at reducing corruption in trade corridors. The component seeks to reduce the level of corruption along the trade corridors and increase trade, develop a reporting system for roadside corruption, and increase education initiatives and public awareness of corruption activities along the trade corridor.
Please note: Only Malian citizens are eligible for this position.
MJP is recruiting a Communication Assistant to support the implementation of the communication activities of the project and its partners including but not limited to the Sikasso Platform for Free Movements of Goods (the Platform). Under the supervision of the MJP Communication Specialist, the Communication Assistant will contribute to the development and implementation of the communication strategy and plans, support organizing and conducting communication events, contribute to the development of the communication materials, contribute to promoting anti-corruption messages using different communication channels including social media. The Communication Assistant will be based in Bamako and travel frequently to the Sikasso region.
- Identify target audiences and key messages to build intolerance to corruption in trade corridors among citizens, trade operators, and inspecting agencies corridors.
- Advise MJP partners on developing and implementing effective anti-corruption communication strategies and plans.
- Monitor the implementation of the communication activities of the project partners and assess the effectiveness of the campaigns.
- Strengthen the capacity of partners to develop communication materials (leaflets, press kits, PowerPoint presentations, newsletter, activity report, etc.) and ensure their compliance with graphic standards of MJP / USAID.
- Build communication skills of the members of the Platform's Watch Cells and paralegals of the Citizen Advocacy Offices (CAO) in client communication (verbal and written).
- Train the communication managers of the local branches of the Platform and the CAO animators on planning and conducting communication activities.
- Monitor production of the communication campaigns by the project media partners in the Sikasso region (community radios and the cross-border network of radio stations).
- Contribute to organizing and conducting communication and other public events (press conferences, workshops, open houses, caravans, etc.).
- Write invitations and press releases and develop press kits.
- Provide information and communication support for the events.
- Attend communication events and take pictures and multimedia shots.
- Participate in the dissemination of communication documents.
- Promote relations with the media and respond to media requests (interviews, reports, etc.).
- Regularly conduct press review and produce, distribute, and archive the daily press review.
- Collect and validate information from partners and control services for using it in the communication materials.
- Support building up and maintaining social media of the Project and its partners (website, intranet site, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, others).
- Write, copy edit, integrate, and optimize information, text, images for communication campaigns and project materials. Ensure compliance with copyright and image rights.
- Maintain database of journalists, partners, and stakeholders.
- Manage, distribute and archive electronic or paper information and project documentation.
- Set up and manage an internal communication network with project partners.
- Bachelor or higher degree in public communication, journalism or other relevant areas.
- At least two years of experience in public communication including developing and implementing communication strategy and plans, building communication skills, and developing communication materials.
- In-depth knowledge of communications techniques and tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, journalistic writing, written expression in French, spelling and typographic rules of a national language and of the French language
- Ability to work in a team and collaborate with partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent copywriting skills.
- Experience in content management of websites and social media.
- Common use of video encoding and image processing software.
- Ability to frequently travel to the Sikasso region.
- Experience with USAID or other donor programs is preferred.
- Native French is required, fluency in English preferred
- Connaissance approfondie des techniques et des outils et de la chaîne éditoriale de la communication (PAO, base de données, manipulation de fichiers).
- Diplôme supérieur en communication publique, en journalisme ou dans d'autres domaines pertinents.
- Au moins deux ans d'expérience en communication publique, y compris l'élaboration et la mise en œuvre de stratégies et de plans de communication, le renforcement des compétences en communication et l'élaboration d'outils de communication.
- Connaissance générale des bases de la communication et de la documentation.
- Maîtrise parfaite de la communication écrite, l'écriture journalistique, l'expression écrite en français, l'orthographe et les règles typographiques d'une langue nationale et de la langue française.
- Compétence en sélection d'informations pertinentes.
- Aptitude au travail d'équipe, à la communication et à la collaboration avec divers corps de service de contrôle et des activistes de la société civile.
- Utilisation courante de logiciels d'encodage vidéo et de traitement d'image.
- Expérience avec l'USAID ou un autre donateur de préférence.
- Le français courant est requis ; maîtrise de l'anglais de préférence.