The Communications Business Partner to the Personalized Healthcare (PHC) Center of Excellence (CoE) is responsible for driving Roche’s Pharmaceuticals global PHC communications strategy and execution (internal and external), supporting the Global Product Strategy and Product Development organizations which comprise the PHC CoE. The CoE is an essential part of the corporate-wide strategy to advance personalization of patient care, using the latest advances in medical science, data/artificial intelligence and digital technology to develop solutions that both improve patients lives and help to create more sustainable healthcare systems. Roche’s efforts in PHC span a wide range of functional representatives across all aspects of the pharmaceutical and diagnostics business at Roche and its affiliates, and the Communications Business Partner, PHC CoE will collaborate across groups to ensure a unified and consistent voice.
The role is based in South San Francisco. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of the healthcare and pharmaceutical/biotech industry, and an interest in/passion for keeping up with the latest news and trends in the ever-evolving health tech industry. He/she must be able to strategize, counsel and synthesize one minute and execute the next, taking a proactive approach to integrated communications, cross-functional collaboration and relationships. He/she must be dedicated to communicating authentically, transparently and without corporate speak and jargon. It’s an intense, fast-paced and influential role within a fun, experienced and high-energy team. This position will report to the Global Head of PHC Communications, Pharma Communications.
This individual is responsible for execution of an overarching PHC communications strategy to strengthen internal and external stakeholder belief in and commitment to Roche’s long-term PHC strategy, and our unique culture and company values. Working closely with the Global Head of PHC Communications, this role will serve as counsel to stakeholders within the
CoE and other functional stakeholders across the Roche organization.
In this position, the individual will primarily be accountable for the following:
- Developing and driving adoption of Roche Pharma’s PHC external narrative, aligned with the CoE’s business and cultural priorities, consistent with corporate brand and within the context of our evolving industry
- Contributing to the communications strategy and executing campaigns for implementation at the global and affiliate level to bring the PHC narrative to life through creative PR & marketing communications, engaging experiences and creative assets for internal and external audiences
- Partnering with media relations on PHC media strategy and execution and collaborating with partners in Commercial, Policy, Medical Affairs, etc. on integrated external communications plan execution, thought leadership/external engagements
- Serving as support/coverage for Global Communications Leader, PHC as it pertains to providing communications counsel and support to the ex-US Foundation Medicine (FMI) lifecycle team within Roche Global Product Strategy responsible for ex-US commercialization activities for FMI products.
- Managing operations of multiple communications and creative work streams with various internal stakeholders and agency partners (social media, creative, advertising, video, etc.) in partnership with the CoE marketing team; this will include budgeting, timelines and workflows
- Ensuring a high level of partnership and continuity between CoE, Group Communications and affiliate countries, including Genentech
- Serving as a trusted counselor to CoE stakeholders and Head of PHC Communications
- 15-25% global travel on an annual basis
- 10-15 years of communications experience with a strong emphasis on working within highly matrixed, global organizations
- Mix of both in-house communications and agency experience
- Track record of providing communications and creative counsel to other functions
- Experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry is mandatory
- Ability to translate complex technological, analytical and medical concepts to audiences of varying knowledge levels
- Outstanding verbal skills and creative conceptual experience
- Deep understanding of and appreciation for regional and cultural norms and how they influence marketing and go-to-market strategies targeted to diverse audiences globally
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with employees at all levels of the company
- Strong executive presence with a history of cultivating strong and trusting counseling relationships with executive leaders
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, written, PowerPoint and verbal, including acute attention to detail.
- Strong story-telling skills, excellent editorial judgment, a passion for language and dislike for corporate speak
- The ability to see the connections between seemingly disparate issues, as well as distill complex and sometimes voluminous content into clear, concise and engaging communications
- Strong consulting skills with the ability to quickly assimilate business needs and circumstances and effectively advise others
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills, including a track record of influencing without authority and driving cross-functional activities to successful conclusion
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with an ability to consistently execute multiple, and sometimes competing, activities and complex projects to high quality conclusion, on-time, and within budget
- A track record of consistently acting with urgency as appropriate
- Strength of conviction while also being flexible and humble
- Strong customer-orientation and proven track record of collaborative work relationships
- Strong track record in managing external vendor partners and other internal colleagues in the execution of communications strategies, plans, programs and events
- Collaborative and team-oriented
- Good listener, empathetic and kind