UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Field Office and in close coordination with the Chief, Communication for Development, the incumbent is responsible for the development, planning, management, and implementation monitoring of evidence based, inclusive and innovative C4D/social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) micro-strategies, plans and partnerships in support of the divisional office results and overall country programme.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- C4D Strategy Design, Programme Development and Implementation
- Networking and Partnership Building
- Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Research, Innovations and Knowledge Management
- Advocacy and Media Relations Support
- Operational & Management Support
C4D Strategy Design, Programme Development and Implementation
- In collaboration with UNICEF and government officers, and other relevant partners in the Division, design, budget, manage, execute and monitor C4D micro-strategies and plans of action for increased: (a) community engagement for social norm change and promoting desired behaviours and practices (b) demand for and access to quality basic services including behaviour development/change at the individual/household levels; and (c) social mobilization of civil society organizations, governmental partners and others for sustainable results within regular programming and during emergency preparedness and response.
- Provide technical support for planning and implementing C4D/ SBCC/ demand-side components of CP, Education, HIV/AIDS, Health, Nutrition, and WASH programmes in the division
- Provide C4D/ SBCC related technical support to the development, management and implementation of overall Field Office work plans, including contributions to the budget and programme review and planning process. In this regard, support the Chief of Field Office in the establishment of convergent programme work plans and processes at divisional level and below (district, upazilla, union, ward etc as necessary) with respect to harmonization and implementation of behavior and social change, advocacy, social mobilization and community engagement activities.
- Provide, as required, divisional perspectives and technical inputs in the development of national strategic frameworks and plans in relation to strengthening the C4D/SBCC/demand-side components of the overall country programmme across all key outcome areas. In this regard, operationalise national level C4D related models/ approaches/ frameworks at field level.
- Make recommendations on appropriate advocacy and communication materials to reach local target groups by sectoral/cross sectoral programmes and for emergency prevention, preparedness and response.
- With partners, organize/manage local level development and pre-testing of locally relevant communication materials aligned to national standards to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Follow up on the production and dissemination of local materials and oversees the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translation, review of layout and graphic design).
- Monitor and evaluate activities on the basis of work plans, contractual commitments and frequent visits to project sites. Conduct process monitoring and quality assurance of C4D interventions being implemented by partners as per national and international standards. This includes monitoring of disbursement of C4D programme funds and utilization rates; as well as implementation of relevant risk assurance plans and organizational guidelines and rules (e.g. HACT programme visits and spot checks) as appropriate.
Networking and Partnership Building
- Represent UNICEF among external governmental, NGO and other partners within the division for C4D related planning, programming and processes. In this regard, regularly map partners in the division; and establish, develop or strengthen partnerships with various religious groups, traditional and local leaders, community level influencers, local level decision makers, academics, artists, private sector, local media groups and communication agencies, as well as NGOs, CSOs and other organized groups in the division to harmonise demand creation efforts, solicit involvement in/contract for the implementation of the country programme in support of child rights, and build capacity in C4D/ SBCC/ social mobilization & community engagement.
- Represent C4D (technical area) within UNICEF field office. In this regard, lead on, facilitate or contribute as relevant to inter-sectorial collaboration & implementation of cross-sectoral initiatives that pertain to C4D/ SBCC/ demand side programming in the division including for emergency prevention, preparedness, mitigation and response.
- Represent Field office at C4D national and international fora and among C4D/SBCC partners. In this regard, participate in national and international C4D/SBCC meetings and conferences as required and provide field based perspectives to inform results and recommendations.
- Convene, or provide technical support for convening of, inter-sectorial or inter-agency coordination mechanisms and platforms at divisional level to harmonise social mobilization, community engagement and local media and communication campaign efforts for behavior and social change during regular programming and emergency situations.
Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Advocate to, engage with and provide technical support to local government counterparts, local partner institutions (e.g. local universities) and networks (e.g. community radio) in the development and appropriate use of inclusive and evidence based C4D/SBCC strategies.
- Develop, strengthen and support local training and orientation interventions and materials to build competencies in inclusive and evidence based C4D/SBCC at various government levels and among UNICEF partners in the division, to facilitate programme sustainability.
Research, Innovation and Knowledge Management
- In collaboration with partners carry out/ facilitate C4D related research (formative, process, summative, rapid assessments) in the division on the basis of applied social research and UNICEF standards. Assess local needs, and synthesize available data and analytics to obtain evidence on local behavioural and socio-cultural barriers and bottlenecks that hinder effective sectoral/cross sectoral programme delivery.
- Identify case examples, innovations and lessons learned wrt C4D successes and failures in the division. Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentation.
- Share and disseminate communication research findings, knowledge products/good practices; and ensure exchange of experiences to government officials, sectoral colleagues and other partners in the division.
- Assist C4D section in preparation of various reports including donor reports by sharing of quantitative, qualitative data, and good practices/examples.
Advocacy and Media Relations Support
- Conduct or support local level advocacy on child rights issues aligned to national policies and programmes.
- Promote a better understanding of children's and women's rights by facilitating or supporting divisional level news media outreach and journalistic engagement. This includes local news media capacity building for coverage of programmatic issues (CP, education, gender, HIV/AIDS, health, nutrition, WASH).
- Provide technical support for the organization and management of up to 3 to 4 high profile media events in a year related to child rights within the division (e.g. SOWC launch etc).
- Provide technical inputs for preparation of local media briefs and interviews in relation to child rights issues.
Operational & Management Support
- Provide operational and managerial support to field office as as assigned by supervisor
- Support leveraging of resources and funds utilization at divisional level
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Advanced university Degree in social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required.
- Fluency in English and Bangla is required