UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose for the job: The Communication for Development Officer reports to the Chief C4D/C4D Specialist for supervision and guidance. The Officer provides technical and operational support to the C4D Specialist and internal colleagues by administering, implementing, monitoring and/or evaluating a variety of C4D initiatives and activities to promote community engagement and participation, and measureable behavioral and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to complete tasks.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose for the job: Under the direct supervision of the C4D Specialist and general guidance of the Team Lead, Communication for Development in Cox’s Bazar as well as the Chief of Field Services, Cox Bazaar, the incumbent is responsible for the development, planning, management, and implementation monitoring of evidence based, inclusive and innovative C4D/social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) micro-strategies, plans and partnerships in support of the Cox’s Bazar Field Office results and overall country programme.
C4D Strategy Design, Programme Development and Implementation
- In collaboration with UNICEF and government officials, and other relevant partners in Cox’s Bazar district, design, budget, manage, execute and monitor C4D micro-strategies and plans of action for increased under Local Governance for Children-LGC programme: (a) community engagement for social norm change and promoting desired behaviours and practices (b) demand for and access to quality basic services including behaviour development/change at the individual/household levels; and (c) social mobilization of civil society organizations, governmental partners and others for sustainable results within regular programming and during emergency preparedness and response.
- Provide technical support for planning and implementing C4D/ SBCC/ demand-side components of Child Protection, Education, HIV/AIDS, Health, Nutrition, and WASH programmes in the select Upazilas of the district.
- Provide technical support to the development, management and implementation of community engagement and social mobilization interventions for the Imams and religious leaders in partnership with Islamic Foundation and other like-minded faith based organizations.
- Provide support for the adolescent engagement programmes in the select Upazilas of Cox’s Bazar in partnership with Bangladesh Betar, CSOs and others.
- Provide support to the District Information Office, Cox’s Bazar to facilitate community engagement and social mobilization interventions in the select Upazilas of the district.
- Make recommendations on appropriate advocacy and communication materials to reach local target groups by sectoral/cross sectoral programmes and for emergency prevention, preparedness and response.
- With partners, organize/manage local level development and pre-testing of locally relevant communication materials aligned to national standards to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Follow up on the production and dissemination of local materials and oversees the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translation, review of layout and graphic design).
- Monitor and evaluate activities on the basis of work plans, contractual commitments and frequent visits to project sites. Conduct process monitoring and quality assurance of C4D interventions being implemented by partners as per national and international standards. This includes monitoring of disbursement of C4D programme funds and utilization rates; as well as implementation of relevant risk assurance plans and organizational guidelines and rules (e.g. HACT programme visits and spot checks) as appropriate.
Networking and Partnership Building
- Represent UNICEF, where necessary and upon prior consultation with UNICEF management, among governmental, NGO and other partners within the district for SBCC related planning, programming and processes. In this regard, regularly map partners in the district; and establish, develop or strengthen partnerships with community level influencers, local level decision makers, academics, artists, private sector, local media groups and communication agencies, as well as NGOs, CSOs and other organized groups in the district to harmonise demand creation efforts, solicit involvement in/contract for the implementation of the country programme in support of child rights, and build capacity in C4D/ SBCC/ social mobilization & community engagement.
- Support relevant inter-sectorial collaboration & implementation of cross-sectoral initiatives that pertain to C4D/ SBCC/ demand side programming in the district including for emergency prevention, preparedness, mitigation and response.
- Convene, or provide technical support for convening of, inter-sectorial or inter-agency coordination mechanisms and platforms at district level to harmonise social mobilization, community engagement and local media and communication campaign efforts for behavior and social change during regular programming and emergency situations.
Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Advocate to, engage with and provide technical support to local government counterparts, local partner institutions (e.g. local universities) and networks (e.g. community radio) in the development and appropriate use of inclusive and evidence based C4D/SBCC strategies.
- Develop, strengthen and support local training and orientation interventions and materials to build competencies in inclusive and evidence based C4D/SBCC at various government levels and among UNICEF partners in the district, to facilitate programme sustainability.
Research, Innovation and Knowledge Management
- In collaboration with partners carry out/ facilitate C4D related research/study (formative, process, summative, rapid assessments) in the district on the basis of applied social research and UNICEF standards. Assess local needs, and synthesize available data and analytics to obtain evidence on local behavioural and socio-cultural barriers and bottlenecks that hinder effective sectoral/cross sectoral programme delivery.
- Identify case examples, innovations and lessons learned write C4D successes and failures in the district. Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentation.
- Share and disseminate communication research findings, knowledge products/good practices; and ensure exchange of experiences to government officials, sectoral colleagues and other partners in the division.
- Assist C4D Teams in Cox’s Bazar and Dhaka in preparation of various reports including donor reports by sharing of quantitative, qualitative data, and good practices/examples.
Advocacy and Media Relations Support
- Conduct or support local level advocacy on child rights issues aligned to national policies and programmes.
- Promote a better understanding of children's and women's rights by facilitating or supporting divisional level news media outreach and journalistic engagement. This includes local news media capacity building for coverage of programmatic issues (CP, education, gender, HIV/AIDS, health, nutrition, WASH).
- Provide technical support for the organization and management of up to 3 to 4 high profile media events in a year related to child rights within the district (e.g. SOWC launch etc).
- Provide technical inputs for preparation of local media briefs and interviews in relation to child rights issues.
Operational & Management Support
- Provide operational and managerial support to field office as assigned by supervisor
- Support leveraging of resources and funds utilization at district level
- To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: A university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating strategies/concepts (I)
- Relating and networking (I)
- Persuading and influencing (I)
- Applying technical expertise (I)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)