The Development Communication Officer is placed under the supervision of the C4D Section Head, but will also work with the guidance of the C4D Specialist. He / she provides technical and operational support to the C4D section chief and his internal colleagues for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of various initiatives and activities with a view to promoting engagement and participation communities, as well as social mobilization and measurable behavior change. This requires the application of technical and theoretical skills and a thorough knowledge of the organization's objectives, rules, policies and procedures to perform its tasks.
Key functions, responsibilities and related tasks / tasks
Support for strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Research and / or participate in the realization of social analyzes, analysis of the C4D situation on communicational, cultural, economic and political issues of the country and regions. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and factual information for the development and planning of the C4D component of the cooperation program (CPD: Country Program Document), UNDAF (United Nations Development Assistance Framework).
- Collect, synthesize, develop and / or organize materials and documentation for evidence-based C4D strategies (as a component of the Country Office and / or UNDAF / CPD program) to ensure optimal impact at scale as well as sustainability of outputs / results.
- Evaluate, select and / or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives, verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the objectives of the Country Office as well as that of UNICEF in order to achieve social change and measurable behavior change leading to improved rights and good -be children. Submit a qualitative report / summary of results for development planning and improvement.
Support for the design and operationalization of C4D strategies for nutrition-related programs and projects.
- Contribute to the analysis of the communication situation of specific themes related to nutrition for the development, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of C4D activities included in the detailed annual work plan of the section nutrition;
- Participate in carrying out studies to better orient strategies and interventions related to nutrition;
- Develop and operationalize communication strategies for nutrition activities at the level of health facilities and at the community level in target areas;
- Develop community dialogue approaches while facilitating the ownership and participation of local authorities, communities and other stakeholders (traditional and modern, religious, civil society, etc.) for a sustainable adoption of optimum behaviors related to nutrition in target areas;
- Strengthen the communication component for nutrition with young people in order to enhance their participation and contribution to the development of their communities in target areas;
- Support the implementation of the communication aspects of the “WASH in Nut” strategy in target areas;
- Carry out the follow-up, monitoring and evaluation of C4D activities related to nutrition;
- Establish and maintain close and effective working partnerships with government partners and the various multisectoral working groups in the nutrition sector in order to support them, strengthen their capacities and enhance their contribution in the development of a communication approach. consistent and holistic for the prevention of all forms of malnutrition.
Support for the implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate and / or consult with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to research, develop and produce evidence-based and tested strategies, produce and use quality C4D materials, organize events and activities aimed at ensuring community participation and engagement, having maximum reach and impact on behavior change and social change.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support for the implementation of C4D strategies and activities and recommend operational strategy guidelines, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure commitment and community participation with a reach and optimal impact.
- Evaluate and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and tools to optimize the impact and reach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow and monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure the technical quality, consistency and relevance of the communication materials developed, produced and disseminated to the target audience (individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media, etc.).
- Collect, evaluate and organize information for program budget planning and management and prepare financial planning documentation for C4D initiatives. Monitor / track resource usage as planned and verify adherence to organizational guidelines, rules and regulations as well as ethical and transparency standards.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organizations, community groups, leaders and other key community and civil society partners, in order to to strengthen cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self-determination. Seek opportunities for greater awareness to promote the mission of UNICEF as well as the goals of children's rights, social and inclusive equity.
- Collaborate with communication partners at internal, global / regional level to harmonize, link and / or coordinate messages to enhance the reach and contribution of C4D to programmatic results.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Institutionalize / share best practices and acquired knowledge / products, with partners and stakeholders at local / global level to build capacity of partners / beneficiaries and disseminate products to key audiences, including partners and donors.
- Support the organization, administration and implementation of capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and education institutions, to improve the skills of beneficiaries / stakeholders / partners in all areas. programmatic sectors of C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs / projects. Develop training material for training activities, revise and update as necessar
To qualify as an advocate for each child, you will need:
- A university degree from an accredited institution * in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral sciences, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other relevant technical field.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development program, planning, communication for development, public awareness or other related field.
- Relevant experience in an agency or organization of the United Nations system is considered an asset.
- Fluency in French and Malagasy is required. Knowledge of English is considered an asset
- This position is reserved for candidates of Malagasy nationality.