Communication for Development Specialist
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
How can you make a difference?
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Conduct and/or participate in comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region, including through national/subnational working groups or committees. Assess/synthesize qualitative and quantitative information, data and evidence to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Program of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Participate in country program planning and reviews to contribute to discussions on the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, gender/children inequality, cultural/social behavior etc.) to ensure the successful and sustainable delivery of program results and provide technical recommendations on approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D to promote behavioral and social change.
- Prepare or provide quality assurance on materials and related documentations for C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programs) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Collaborate/consult with a wide range of partners and stakeholder to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of C4D activities with UNICEF MTSP, CO global communications and advocacy activities and UN System development activities and initiatives at the CO level, including in humanitarian response.
Implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners and external partners to design C4D strategies, including formulation, production and testing materials and/or to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change, including in humanitarian response.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc.). Recommend appropriate multiple media formats (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web, community networks, etc.). Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, etc. to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable program results on children and women's rights, equity and wellbeing. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF's competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on children’s rights, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E and Evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and CO Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
Technical and operational support:
- Collaborate with internal CO, RO and/or RO colleagues to contribute to the development of strategies, approaches, policies and the planning of C4D social and resource mobilization initiatives in support of programs/projects implementation and delivery of results, including humanitarian response.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for C4D advocacy and investments and related external relations and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Participate in budget planning and management of program funds and prepare financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building:
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. academia; social networks; celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging and use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach including in humanitarian contexts.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency (UNCT; National UN Communication for Development Roundtable) discussions and planning to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in the UNDAF planning and preparation of C4D advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms and networks for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners and disseminate these products to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Organize/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners (government and non-government) in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs/projects including in humanitarian settings.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree in social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
- In Lieu of an advanced degree, a related undergraduate degree with 7 years of experience will be considered.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and development, public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in related areas in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset