UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, A bright future:
Purpose for the job: The temporary position will support the Ministry of Health and Welfare to steer the strategic process for advocacy, programme implementation, capacity building and knowledge management as defined in the SBCC Strategy. The position will provide technical support to ensuing routine EPI and MR campaign to foster a common umbrella approach being planned by various development partners in Bangladesh and simultaneously encourage innovations. S/he will also propose a roadmap for multi-sectoral response to Behaviour Change Communication challenges through convergence of ongoing interventions and promoting highly focused enter-educate campaign approach, while pulling together select actionable innovations.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Chief of Communication for Development Section and guidance of the Chief of Health Section. S/he will work in close collaboration with C4D and Health section, EPI specialist, C4D Specialist and MNCAH sub-unit and with CAP section as required.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Summary of the key functions, accountabilities and related duties or tasks include:
- Development and Implementation of C4D Strategy to strengthened demand generation for EPI and other relevant programmes
- Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building for enhancing SBCC
- Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Innovation and Knowledge Management
- Management and Operational Support
Development and Implementation of C4D Strategy to strengthened demand generation for EPI and other relevant programmes:
- In collaboration/ consultation with UNICEF sectoral and cross-sectoral specialists in Health, relevant government officers and other NGO partners, develop, update and facilitate the implementation of evidence-based C4D strategies, national plans of action, messages and materials aimed at:
- behaviour development/change and social norm change at the individual, household, community, institutional and system levels in relation to EPI and other relevant sectoral programmes;
- social mobilization of civil society organizations and governmental partners for sustainable social change; and
- community engagement for regular programming and ensure EPI in emergency preparedness and response.
- Participate in health program planning and reviews to contribute to discussions on the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, norms etc) to ensure the successful and sustainable delivery of program results for EPI and provide technical recommendations on approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D to promote behavioral and social change with respect to health goals relevant to immunization programme.
- Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence, including guiding message and material development and production as relevant. Recommend appropriate and credible media and communication channels (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web, community networks, etc.) for message dissemination. Prepare or provide quality assurance on related documents and materials for C4D strategies and plans to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Guide or facilitate the execution of C4D events and activities (MR Campaign, Days observations, dissemination of Urban EPI Strategy etc) with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, etc. to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation for social, political, behavioral and cultural change.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building for enhancing SBCC:
- Represent UNICEF Country Office and C4D Section in national and international level fora and among partners as relevant and necessary for immunization events. Participate in organizational and inter-agency, cross-sectoral or C4D focused working groups, conferences and meetings to collaborate on multi-stakeholder initiatives, joint advocacy and resource mobilization with focus on child survival and development.
- Develop or convene new and/or strengthen existing national level partnerships with relevant sectoral governmental counterparts, national networks of traditional and new leaders, private sector, research and academia and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them and solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
- Support partnership and coordination activities at the divisional/ field level in the same area and ensure cross-exchanges for both vertical (national and sub-national) and horizontal (across sectors) information flows.
Technical Support and Capacity Building:
- Design and organize/ implement capacity development strategies, training materials and activities to build capacity and competencies in C4D/SBCC and participatory methodologies at various government levels and among other UNICEF partners.
- Develop capacity of the proposed Technical Support Unit (TSU) under EPI HQ, DHGS on demand generation. Also support sub-national level government offices for capacity building on EPI Demand Generation, behavioural monitoring.
- Support reviewing Medical and Public Health Curriculum on EPI and ensure inclusion of all antigens according to EPI programme with technical advice from Health and C4D Section.
Innovation and Knowledge Management on EPI and MR:
- In collaboration with partners, organize/manage pre-testing of culturally relevant communication initiatives and materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery. Follow up on the dissemination and utilisation of materials.
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms and networks for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- Lead on and support the development of case studies on innovations, good practices and lessons learned on the use of C4D/SBCC to advance child rights as identified at divisional level.;
Management and Operational Support on EPI and MR:
- Support the Section Chief in section management, planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of the annual work plan as needed. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
- Provide technical support to C4D and sectoral officers in UNICEF field offices on EPI demand generation building of local UNICEF partners, partnerships, documentation of innovations and to facilitate local advocacy in support of mainstreaming Communication for Development.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
Education: Advanced university degree in the social/behavioural sciences, with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
Experience: Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Planning and management and/or in relevant areas of C4D campaigns and program particularly work experience immunization programme and supplementary immunization activities.
- Working experience and familiarity with the health programme of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, international organization or any other agencies will be an asset. Preference would be given to candidates who has knowledge and experiences of EPI micro plan, introduction of new vaccine and Measles-Rubella campaign.
- Relevant experience in related areas in an UN system or organization is an asset
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and very good working knowledge of Bangla.