UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply. Our workplace policies promote flexible work arrangements, to support all staff in maintaining a healthy life balance, both in and out of the office.
We are the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification – the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace.
UNICEF prides itself on fostering a multicultural and harmonious work environment, guaranteed by a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
For every child, results!
Under the general guidance of the Polio team leader, NOC responsible for the design, formulation, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a behavioral change and social mobilization strategy, plan of action and programme activities in support of the country programme.
How can you make a difference?
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and the given organizational set-up, the incumbent shall be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties and end results.
Designs, manages, and facilitates the implementation of provincial (Balochistan) communication strategy based on the analysis of local data and clear segmentation of participant audiences in order to promote social and behavioral change in support of polio eradication.
- With technical support from C4D Specialist, CommNet Coordinator, C4D and M&E Officers in Islamabad and in cooperation with provincial stakeholders and M&E and Health Officers in Balochistan, designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of evidence-based communication strategy and plans of action targeting specific audiences in Balochistan, including caregivers, service providers, religious leaders, etc. through: (a) behavior development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (c) advocacy with provincial authorities and decision makers for increased political will, accountability and commitment to the eradication of polio.
- Effectively manages the provincial C4D team and establishes a coherent approach to all C4D activities (including coordination with health, underserved strategies, media, M&E and COMNet).
Organizes the development, pre-testing, production and evaluation of culturally appropriate communication materials.
- With technical assistance and guidance from C4D Specialist, C4D Officers, COMNet Coordinator, Mass Media Officer supports in organization and management of formative research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally appropriate communication materials to increase awareness among participant audiences and contribute to development of positive attitudes and behaviors.
- Supports the UNICEF Pakistan federal communication objectives and strategies on polio eradication through development of complementary province and community specific materials.
- Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of all communication materials developed, produced, and disseminated on behalf of the PEI programme.
Identifies, develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners across civil society for promotion of polio eradication goals.
- Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
- Promotes a better understanding of children's and women's issues by assisting in or managing a provincial level behavior change and social mobilization strategy on polio eradication and routine immunization.
- Promotes and influences behavior development/change at individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community involvement in polio eradication and routine immunization.
Contributes to the development of training materials and activities to build capacity for participatory and behavior change communication.
In collaboration with Training Coordinator in UNICEF Islamabad provides technical input and recommendations for the development of training materials and activities to build capacity in participatory and behavior change communication for personnel and field staff who are involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of provincial communication strategies and action plans.
Provides effective coordination and technical support to provincial governmental counterparts at Emergency Operations Centre and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for polio eradication and promotion of routine immunization.
- Closely works with provincial government counterparts on the development and appropriate use of communication for polio eradication and promotion of routine immunization. Provides technical support as required.
- Collaborates with provincial government officials, community leaders, UN, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of communication goals and strategies.
Monitoring and evaluation - Provides support to ensure C4D activities at provincial level are monitored and evaluated. Shares findings, experiences, lessons learned and new methods with partners.
Provides technical guidance to M&E officers to identify critical C4D activities to be monitored and evaluated through a diverse range of methods.
- Reviews analysis of M&E data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommends corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports to guide corrective action at provincial and federal level and provides technical advice on strategic direction and implementation of the programme to key stakeholders.
- Disseminates communication research findings, shares experience, lessons learned, best practices, and innovations to key stakeholders at federal and provincial level.
Participates in the budget planning and ensures the compliance and the optimal appropriation of allocated programme funds.
- Participates in and contributes to the budget and programme review and planning. Establishes programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance for C4D programme.
- Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of C4D programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Education: Advanced university degree in the social/behavioral sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behavior development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Work Experience: Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes. Experience with routine immunization or promotion of OPV is an added benefit.
- Fluency in English and Urdu is required.
- Knowledge of other local languages is an asset.