UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Purpose for the job:
The C4D Specialist/Emergencies will work under the supervision of the Regional Advisor, C4D to provide technical assistance to country offices to enhance the response and recovery linked to emergencies in particular the COVID-19 pandemic and similar public health emergencies; build capacity of UNICEF staff and partners with a focus on risk communication, community engagement, resilience and social solidarity; and monitor the implementation and results of C4D interventions during emergencies with focus on COVID 19.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Technical assistance, and oversight to Country Offices:
- In close collaboration and coordination with Humanitarian Team, Health, WASH, Nutrition, Child Protection, Monitoring and other relevant UNICEF Sections, provides technical C4D support to UNICEF staff and partners in the development and appropriate use of guidelines and tools on communication for behaviour and social change in emergency contexts. Current high focus on COVID 19 response and recovery.
2. Capacity building support
- In collaboration with HQ and relevant sections develop tools, guidelines and training materials and activities to build capacity in risk communication, behaviour change and community engagement approaches for staff and partners who are involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of C4D intervention during emergencies with focus on PHEs.
3. Monitoring and evaluation
- Support countries to develop terms of reference, research tools and protocols for establishing evidence for C4D through KAP, formative research and other studies.
4. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships with regional C4D partners, including UN agencies, INGOs, and other relevant organizations and coordinate their involvement in MENA emergency C4D preparedness and response.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University degree in social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in related areas in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic or French is required.