About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Position: Communication and Monitoring and & Evaluation Associate
The Green Climate Fund (GCF) funded project on “Enhancing Climate Resilience of India’s Coastal Communities” supports the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change to enhance the resilience of the lives and livelihoods of the most vulnerable populations, particularly women, in the coastal areas of India to climate change and extreme events, using an ecosystem-centered and community-based approach. In addition, this project contributes towards the achievement of climate priorities outlined in India’s National Action Plan on Climate Change (2008), the State Action Plans, as well as commitments outlined in India’s Nationally Determined Contribution (2015).
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communication and M&E Associate will work under direct supervision of the State Project Manager (SPM) and the state focal point (Government Counterpart). Furthermore, s/he will be under the guidance of both the Communication and M&E associate at the NPMU (New Delhi) and focal point at UNDP CO. S/he will act as the focal point in the state for the implementation of the communication and outreach strategy in all target landscapes of the state.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Responsible for monitoring state level project activities according to the results framework of the project document and key monitoring milestones as per the UNDP and GCF requirements
- Periodically monitor and update the results framework as needed through physical verification on ground of all indicators and or district level reports in coordination with the District coordination and field level associates.
- Support the SPM in developing and monitoring the annual and quarterly work plans, and progress reports (as per reporting requirements) to ensure the successful application of Results Based Management (RBM) in these documents;
- Incorporate sex-disaggregated data into the results framework as needed, and maintain and update the results framework in the Gender Action Plan
- Implement the Communication and media awareness plan developed by respective agency at target districts and target landscapes.
- Develop, edit and review a wide range of relevant communications material focusing to a large extent on climate change and its impacts; ecosystem restorations and adopting sustainable livelihoods.
- Coordinate and sensitize the local media house (newspapers, radio, tv etc) of the state / district on periodically generating content for the target audience.
- Ensure quality assurance for publications, reports and media materials for UNDP India
- Coordinate all translation work and ensure the best quality possible, in line with the audience needs and contexts.
- Plan and implement digital media strategies for improved digital presence
- Drafting/production of regular updates, press briefings, updates, infographics, presentations
- Facilitating sharing of lessons between target landscapes on effective techniques for climate-adaptive livelihoods, including through exchange visits between communities, with focus on women, youth, and marginalized groups.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (essential) in Energy and Environment, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Media relations, Journalism or related fields.
- Master’s degree (preferable) or equivalent in Energy and Environment, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Media relations, Journalism or related fields.
- At least 7 years (post bachelors) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- At least At least 5 years (post masters) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- At least 5 years (post bachelors) working experience with Project Management and Results Based Management with Good command of Results Based management tools
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization
- Experience of working with Central and/or State Governments/ international agencies/ on similar assignments
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Marathi is essential