UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
UNICEF has been an active partner of the Government of the Philippines and civil society in realizing the rights of every Filipino child, in line with priorities to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. UNICEF efforts have been focused on the most vulnerable regions identified by the Government of the Philippines Development Plan, particularly in the regions of Visayas and Mindanao. To ensure that interventions are sustainable and scaled up, UNICEF will support primarily local government units (LGUs) as the main instruments of delivering services and building systems. The level of engagement with government institutions will take into account capacities, economies of scale and sector issues.
It has a field office in Cotabato City, the second largest city in Mindanao, southern Philippines, with some 300,000 population. The city is the regional administrative centre of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao and over 80 percent of the population is Muslim. Mindanao is both conflict-affected and prone to frequent earthquakes and typhoon storms.
How can you make a difference?
The Digital Communication Officer provides professional, technical, and administrative support to the strategic planning and coordinating of UNICEF Philippines digital communication across all digital platforms.
The role covers management and development of UNICEF’s online presence, content development and branding, community management, influencer engagement, advocacy policy support, online youth engagement and participation, monitoring and analysis, and coordination with private fund raising and partnerships.
Under the direct Supervision of the Chief of Communications, the post shall undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Management and development of UNICEF’s online presence. Develop, implement and manage UNICEF Philippines Social Media Strategy in close coordination with programmes to identify key messages, framing and delivery methods.
- Contribute to the Global Communication and Advocacy Strategic Framework 2.0 (2018-2021) target of 100 million engaged individuals, Influencer Strategy and the Supporter Engagement Strategy.
- Engage with UNICEF staff, relevant online audiences and networks to support their ability to tell stories around key messages and issues to increase positive partnerships with key actors and advocates and the private sector to influence positive social change
- Learn about the latest digital trends and forecasts to inform implementation.
- Content development and brand. Lead in the development, writing and creation of content for UNICEF Philippines digital communication platforms such as official website, social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), online publication (Medium, YouTube), ensuring daily content tailored to each platform.
- Community Management. Shared community moderation responsibilities with the Digital Associate to monitor follower sentiment and inform overall strategy.
- Working with the celebrity team, harness social networks of UNICEF Philippines celebrities and lead the development of customized content for their fans and followers.
- Develop an online influencer strategy to support UNICEF’s advocacies in coordination with celebrity team.
Advocacy and policy support:
- Provide social listening reports on the impact of messaging on key advocacy areas
- Support initiatives and efforts of UNICEF Philippines to address and prevent online sexual abuse and exploitation of children
- Keep track of digital activities of partners (government agencies, CSOs) and other UN agencies to support joint efforts, activities and projects
- Provide recommendations to management to improve advocacy messaging and impact.
- Online youth engagement and participation. Seek opportunities to engage more directly with large parts of the populations – particularly the large populations of young people – together with active civil society, to increase positive partnerships with key actors and advocates and the private sector to influence positive social change.
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Monitor UNICEF Philippines’ performance in digital communication platforms and give recommendations to improve online presence
- Organize and coordinate surveys and other means of evaluating online messaging such as impact on audience, impact of online campaigns, effective framing, agenda setting, etc.
- Monitor similar organizations in the digital space.
- Coordination with Private Fundraising and Partnerships
- Coordinate with PFP’s Digital Associate for fundraising campaigns and content as relevant.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field is required. Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Three years current work experience in planning and managing digital communication platforms, social media, digital marketing and/or campaigning, and online publishing.
- Prior social media content strategy and platform management experience working with a global organization (private sector/UN/INGO), especially working on projects of large scale, involving multiple users and groups.
- Excellent writing, editing and proof-reading skills, especially for digital.
- Quick thinking and ability to spot trends and utilize opportunities to respond quickly to social sentiment.
- Ability to measure quality/impact of content for future improvement.
- Strong grip on digital trends specific to the Philippines.
- Field work experience.
- Background/familiarity with emergency situations.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station or another official UN language is considered as an asset.