United Nations Volunteers, Liberia
Closing Date for Applications:
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of Section or his/her designated representative(s)-working in close collaboration with the Communications Analyst and the programme team, the UN Volunteer Communications Officer will undertake the following tasks:
General public communications activities:
Produce high-quality communication documents in English; for the audience.
- Research, draft and edit communication materials (including articles, press releases, human interest stories, fact sheets) for traditional and modern media for advocacy, social mobilization and resource mobilization activities; contribute to the qualitative aspects of production (e.g. translation, graphic design);
- Ensure appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences, and participate in the evaluation of their impact;
- Support planning and organization as well as generating public support for special events and activities to promote country programme goals;
- Monitor public perception of UNDP in Liberia; recommend appropriate actions to maintain a positive image for the organization
- Evaluate the effectiveness of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences;
- Develop close collaboration with the media through activities such as organizing visits to project sites, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage, and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate, to generate and maintain public interest in the work of UNDP and communicate the story suited to relevant target audience.
- Assist in identifying and producing feature stories and other materials to facilitate advocacy and fund-raising activities;
- Assist in the development of work plans that are consistent with UNDP communications strategies, goals, objectives and activities; monitor compliance and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are met, including performance planning, monitoring and appraisal; plan and monitor the use of communication budgetary resources;
- Assist the implementation of the joint UN Communications Strategy in line with the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework and the UNDP Country Programme Document.
Online strategy support:
- Support the regular update of the UNDP Country Office Website
- Regularly update social media channels (Twitter/Facebook) and lead efforts to mobilize followers and improve UNDP Liberia’s presence on social media platforms
- Assist in maintaining the Country office’s web photo data base UNDP web photo database by processing and uploading photos and captions
- Support UNDP digital communication and web content development, including Blogs/Op-eds; support UNDP’s online strategy to generate national and international support;
- Support the development and reinforcement of already existing web tools in order to enhance the visibility of UNDP and its partners;
- Support the production and editing of the UNDP Annual Report
- Explore the use of interactive communication strategies that engages and provides a voice for young people
- Ensure systematic information updates and propose content for social media platforms (photos, videos, posts and articles);
- Provide internal office support to programme staff on the production of quality advocacy, information and communication materials to strengthen programme visibility including Projects’ one pagers
- Participate in global advocacy activities by planning visits of goodwill ambassadors, National Committee representatives and Executive Board members, including preparation of information materials (e.g. press releases, programme summaries, country fact sheets and media kits) and necessary logistic arrangements;
- Take responsibility where required to adapt and disseminate advocacy materials from the Country Office, NY HQ, Geneva HQ and the respective Regional Office to identified target audiences, arranging translation into local language(s) as necessary; identify the need for additional materials/activities, such as radio and television programmes, publications, photographs, websites, etc., to advocate and promote organizational goals within the country, and manage their production and distribution to the target audiences;
- Develop partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives (i.e. media), and strengthen their capacity through appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to updated information, supplies and equipment and through experience-sharing.
- Support the Communication team in its day-to-day activities, including but not limited to, contributing to outreach through organizing events and setting up activities (retreats, meetings and task forces);
- As required, prepare background communication and advocacy materials for briefings and visits of media, goodwill ambassadors, donors, national committee representatives and other special interest groups;
- Ensure quality, consistency, accuracy and ethics of all communication tools and materials (press releases, videos, social media posts, Human Interest Stories, Blog articles, Reports, etc.);
- Provide quality assurance of all communication content, tools and materials.
- Support the production of the Office newsletter.
Required degree level:
- Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or similar field; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree
Required experience: 48 Months
- At least 4 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communication, print and broadcast media, interactive digital media, public information, or other relevant programmes;
- experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset as experience working on programming in conflict-affected /post conflict countries
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Area of expertise: Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Web and graphic design, Other communications related experience.