UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
Under direct supervision of the Chief Communications and functional supervision of both the Chief Communication and the chief of Fundraising, the post holder acts as inter-phase between the Mexico Country Office´s Communication Team (where the post is based) and the Private Fundraising and Partnerships Team (PFP), to facilitate the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of marketing and communication strategies aimed at raising funds and/or working with companies and other private sector actors to promote and protect child rights, ensuring full alignment with global communication/fundraising/partnerships goals and guidelines (including branding guidelines), thus enhancing the organization´s credibility and brand.
How can you make a difference?
- Marketing communications advice
Effective and timely technical advice is provided towards the development of marketing communication plans and content plans aimed at reaching existing/potential individual donors and companies, to secure or maintain their donations or engagement with UNICEF´s cause.
- Develop/support the development of marketing communication plans as well as content plans aimed at reaching potential donors or already existing ones as well as potential or existing corporate allies.
- Help identify key segmented audiences, within the above-mentioned groups, and guide efforts by fundraising and corporate-alliance´s colleagues to reach and engage those audiences as part of fundraising/alliance-building efforts.
- Support efforts on the part of colleagues working on “New Business Acquisition” to recruit new corporate allies for UNICEF´s work in Mexico and abroad, by developing the marketing and communication aspects of their proposals and supporting their implementation as needed. This includes participation during brokerage meetings with potential corporate allies.
- Collaborate with other communication colleagues in the development of content dissemination and media plans, providing expert guidance and advice with regards to specialist media targets for fundraising communication purposes.
- Work in close collaboration with the Digital Media Officer and Brand Management Officer to ensure correct and effective internal dissemination of guidelines regarding social media activities and related use of the UNICEF brand where it comes to marketing communication activities for fundraising/alliance-building purposes.
Effective and timely professional assistance and support are provided in developing, drafting and maintaining contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – in the country, to communicate the story of UNICEF's cooperation to individual donors/potential donors and to the private sector.
- Maintain and update media relations contact list/database with business media and journalist and with media related to key individual audiences. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media.
- Assist in developing and maintaining close collaboration with mass media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of fundraising and private-sector engagement objectives.
- Assist in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information material in all media formats, in alignment with PFP´s objectives.
- In close collaboration with Program and PFP colleagues, prepare background communication and promotional material for briefing and field visits by media, individual and corporate allies. Collaborate in the planning, logistic and administrative arrangements for these visits, facilitating multimedia production and dissemination of related content.
Ensure that the production of communication products and material is timely executed and followed up to support the country office´s communication and fundraising strategies, regional and global campaigns and priorities and to support resource mobilization as defined by the office´s communication strategy and set out in related work plans.
- Implement, as assigned, tasks in the country office´s communication work plan, specifically those linked to fundraising and private-sector partnerships.
- Gather content and coverage linked to relevant country-office efforts to identify effective activities and results of use for fundraising purposes. Develop complementary, country specific and local community material and activities.
- Support the production of communication for fundraising/partnership material (e.g. briefing notes, images, video. Web pages etc.) that meet the country and global standards as set out in the Communication Toolkit.
- Assist in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials for both web-based and traditional media, as appropriate and with particular focus on fundraising/partnership needs.
- Follow up on the production of advocacy and communication material for fundraising (e.g., films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and oversee the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout and graphic design etc.) to meet standards as set out in the Communication Toolkit.
- Maintain an up-to-date documentation centre for communication material including publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources etc.
- Recommend appropriate information and communication material for use in media, and other advocacy, communication and fundraising activities;
- Recommend established contacts, networks, resources and processes to support communication for fundraising purposes.
Copy writing and content production:
Effective supervision and advice are provided towards the production of communication/marketing material for fundraising purposes, including copy writing, ensuring quality of content, appropriateness of visual images, written content and tone to target audience (individuals/corporates) and brand alignment, in support of efforts by PFP staff.
- Draft or revise as needed video/radio scripts and other written communication content linked to fundraising/alliance-building initiatives led by PFP.
- Develop effective key messages linked to fundraising/alliance-building initiatives led by PFP.
- Direct the pre-production, production and post-production of multimedia content for fundraising/alliance-building purposes, for dissemination through both traditional and digital media channels, including for engagement through social media and ensuring alignment with communication and branding guidelines.
- Collaborate with PFP colleagues in the development and production of periodic newsletters and other information materials targeting individual supporters and corporate allies, ensuring alignment with communication and branding guidelines.
- Compile visual content (photos,
- videos, infographics, etc.) from already existing internal sources for use in communication activities linked to fundraising/alliance-building efforts.
- Support PFP colleagues in the development of proposals for corporate partners (existing or potential) and related recognition plans by advising on use of images, written content, messaging, branding, etc.
Monitoring and evaluation
Regular monitoring and evaluation activities are undertaken according to the work plan to ensure maximum impact and continuous improvement of country communication efforts. Ensure results and reports are prepared and shared on a timely basis.
- Assist in coordinating appropriate audience research and compiling and analysing relevant data.
- Monitor and evaluate the appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences and participate in the evaluation of their impact. Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage etc.)
- Monitor the public perception of UNICEF in the country and recommend appropriate action to maintain a positive image for the organization.
- Assist in providing feedback to DOC on the use and appropriateness of global communication materials such as publications, images and multimedia products.
- Ensure good quality data collection, analysis and evaluation and reporting to ensure effective communication strategies, planning and effective and efficient advocacy.
- Undertake lessons learned review of successful and unsuccessful communication experiences as directed by supervisor.
High-profile figures and other key contacts:
Create and maintain a list of journalists, media groups, individuals, organizations and fora of relevance for communication purposes linked to fundraising and private-sector engagement efforts, and actively involve them in special events and activities that further the country programme goals.
- Help organize and generate public support for special events and activities to promote country programme goals.
- Assist in developing and maintaining close collaboration with mass media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to PFP´s work.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of working with these individuals/organizations, advising on remedial action/innovation measures where needed
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in Marketing Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- One-year practical professional work experience in marketing communications in the private sector
- Additional years of experience in marketing or Public Relations in the private sector is an asset
- Field work experience, desirable
- Background/familiarity with Emergency situations is desirable
- Experience in reputation management is desirable
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are...Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Relating and Networking,Persuading and Influencing, Applying Technical Expertise, Learning and Researching, Planning and Organizing.