UNV, Port Moresby (PNG), Papua New Guinea
Closing Date for Applications:
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Representative, and in close collaboration with programme staff, the Communication Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Lead on the implementation of UNFPA PNG communication strategy focussing on the global and country priorities of UNFPA;
- Improve the visibility of UNFPA-PNG programme results and contribute to the UN coherent image and programming;
- Provide critical analysis and communications guidance through scanning and reporting of the internal and external environment, and facilitate regular policy and programme updates of UNFPA-PNG to regional office and HQ;
- Enhance production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials including brochures, posters, pamphlets, programme fact sheets, and press releases as and when needed ensuring UNFPA’s active and substantive contribution to joint UN statements/ press releases, events and materials’ production;
- Keep abreast with programme developments, UN/UNFPA global events and national development, and organise events to raise national awareness and champion the issues that UNFPA advocates through diverse and innovative approaches in PNG contexts (including photo exhibition, drama, festivals, song/ poetry competition, concerts, sports, outreach events);
- Establish strong media and advocacy networks and relationships by helping regular media events, meetings of the Representative with key media persons, drafting and dissemination of media statements, speeches and press releases;
- Maintain a system for constant scanning of UNFPA-produced research, surveys, assessments, field visit reports and other such internal information sources to identify, capture and make optimal communication capital of these for advocacy, and capacity building for UNFPA staff and partners;
- Assist programme team in identifying and implementing ways to obtain impact and visibility of the results to bolster the advocacy efforts;
- Prepare and response to global, regional and national media and advocacy events linked to UNFPA’s mandate including International Midwifery Day, World Population Day, State of World Population Report launch, International Women’s Day, and 16 days of activism.
- Develop UNFPA bulletin, newsletters, brochures and situational reports on a regular basis, maintain issue-based photo-library and information materials that also reflect projects funded by donors;
- Prepare response to the queries of media, liaising as necessary with UNFPA Regional Communication Adviser and Headquarters Media Branch;
- Develop and maintain strategic and functional partnerships and network with Communications Officers of UN System, key development partners, CSOs including faith-based organisations and national and international print and electronic media;
- Regularly update UNFPA PNG website with activities being conducted with UNFPA assistance;
- Develop and disseminate human interest stories to donors and international/ national media;
- Develop op-eds on UNFPA areas of concerns and assistance; and
- Perform any other relevant task assigned by the Representative.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- University degree in mass media, journalism, communications, or any related social science, or combination of first level degree with relevant experience.
Required experience: 60 Months
- At least 5 years of post-university relevant work experience in the area of communications preferably in the development field;
- Relevant computer skills;
- Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Innovative, flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.