Communication/Public Information Officer
UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Yaounde, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
Direct supervision is normally exercised by the Snr. Communications/PI Officer who provides guidance on the applicable procedures. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ. The incumbent may supervise some support staff. Contacts are predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization's programmes (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Communications, Political Science or similar relevant field.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant job experience at professional level in progressively responsible functions related to UNHCR and/or any other humanitarian agency on promotional activities of the agency.
- General understanding of UN/UNHCR reforms and the priority agenda of the organization.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential).
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
- (In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
- For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
- Highly developed drafting ability in the UN working language of the duty station.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
- High IT affinity with specific focus on preparation of website/pages.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.