UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security.
In Kenya, the UN Women Country Programme contributes to the Third Medium Term Plan of Kenya’s Vision 2030 and President Uhuru Kenyatta’s Big 4 Agenda. It is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) of 2018-2022. UN Women’s Strategic Note 2019-2022 envisions a state where gender relations empower women and men to make informed decisions, have equal access to and use of quality services, and control resources and assets in a secure, accountable and inclusive nation. The Strategic Note has prioritized the following four impact areas: 1) Women leadership in decision making, 2) Women’s Economic Empowerment, 3) Ending Violence against Women and Girls, and 4) and Women, Peace, and Security.
Reporting to the Deputy Country Director, the Communications Analyst supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media, and the public. The Communications Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach in UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide coordination support in the development and implementation of a coherent Kenya Country Office (KCO) communications and advocacy strategy
- Provide substantive inputs to the development of the KCO communication strategy;
- Provide support to advocacy efforts and campaigns by organizing roundtable discussions, press conferences, online events, and other publicity events, and preparing briefing materials and press releases;
- Provide guidance and support to the program and other KCO staff on UN Women corporate communications guidelines and printing norms;
- Track and monitor print and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform strategy development;
- Provide inputs to Programme in order to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into program formulation, as necessary.
Provide coordination support to the development of KCO advocacy materials
- Identify storylines and achievements from KCOs work, for online and printed publications;
- Prepare press releases, articles, key messages, and other advocacy materials;
- Oversee the translation, adaptation, or rewriting of information received for the local context;
- Manage the publication of materials for final approval including but not limited to designing;
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials and photos and digital assets, as necessary;
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key gender and development issues;
- Coordination and management of Country Office publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc;
Provide substantive support in the management of the KCO’s online presence
- Identify KCO stories, and develop/review content for the www.genderinkenya.org website and KCO corporate social media accounts;
- Update the website and social media channels, ensure consistency in branding;
- Research, compile and produce reports on web statistics on a regular basis and electronic surveys;
- Maintain files, databases, and systems relevant to the KCO’s digital presence, as necessary.
Provide media relations support to KCO
- Serve as a focal point on UN Women activities open to the media, as necessary;
- Establish and maintain relationships with press in the country; maintain and update database of the relevant press, as necessary;
- Respond to requests for information and arrange interviews;
- Draft talking points, speeches, Opeds etc.
Facilitate knowledge management and sharing
- Contribute to the identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Conduct training and workshops on communication practices;
- Provide/ exchange information with the Regional Office and Headquarters.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Provide support on special web/digital/media projects undertaken by the KCO;
- Train KCO staff and partners.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely organization of discussions, conferences, briefings, information campaigns, and other events
- Timely provision of substantive inputs as requested
- Timely delivery of developed communication and advocacy materials in high quality
- Website and social media accounts are up to date
- Number of communication products developed as assisted in the development
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism or related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in providing support to the formulation and implementation of internal and external communications and advocacy strategies and related plans;
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) as well as web-based management systems;
- Experience in the use of social media and digital communications.
- Fluency in English is required
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.