“Strengthening Institutional Capacity for SDGs Achievement in Bangladesh (SC4SDG)”, is a multi-year initiative to support the Government of Bangladesh. This initiative is the successor of “Support to Sustainable and Inclusive Planning (SSIP)” project and “Engaging with Institutions (EI)”, IP project and aims at providing technical assistance in the formulation of evidence-based policy formulation, implementation, localization, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and outreach of SDGs in Bangladesh. UNDP has been a long-standing partner of the GoB in achieving global goals since MDGs era. In previous interventions, UNDP worked largely with the public sector; but for SDGs, it cannot be achieved without support of the non-state stakeholders given its wideness and depth of the 2030 Global Development Agenda. This project aims to go beyond the conventional partnership with the government to private sector, NGOs, CSOs, think-tank, academia and media to ensure the ‘whole of the society’ approach to attained SDG goals and targets.
The project has four components:
- Evidence-informed SDG policy and plans formulated;
- Systems and capacities in place to localize the SDGs;
- Financing for SDG Implementation secured and prioritized; and
- Partnerships and outreach for enhancing society wide participation in SDGs ensured.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Chief Technical Adviser; the incumbent shall carry out the duties given below to achieve the mission:
- Develop a Communication and Advocacy Strategy with Action plan for a year to promote Strengthening Institutional Capacity for SDGs Achievement in Bangladesh
- Implement the action plan with measurable results
- Be the focal of the project in generating knowledge products, archiving and disseminating
- Generate knowledge products on the basis of accomplished studies, assessments, surveys, policy dialogues and other tools.
- Write stories and articles for the project
- Develop content for print and social media following UNDP’s corporate guidelines
- Create and maintain the photo archive for the project
- Work with vendor in managing event and other activities Management of project promotional materials, development/production of communication and advocacy materials, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing and design
- Maintain photo library of project related activities
- Maintain close collaboration with UNDP’s larger communications team and exchange information regularly
- Liaise with media to publish and broadcast project related materials
- Draft and provide input to UNDP Bulletin, global newsroom and communication network
- Ensure advocacy and communications needs of GED, UNDP and CSOs;
- Design and implement advocacy strategies aligned to the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Develop communications products including policy papers, reports, brochures, speech, bulletins etc.
- Design development and implementation programme communications and media work plans and budget;
- Edit materials prepared by GED for press and serve as in-house sub-editor and proof-reader.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Chief Technical Adviser
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, English, Development Studies, and or any other relevant subject
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in communication activities within Development Projects is required at the national or international level.
- Proven track-record of managing complex and challenging partnerships with governments and international partners within a multilateral setup;
- Excellent ability to deliver strategic insight and analysis on communications and media strategies relevant to security sector institutions;
- Experience with print and/or electronic and broadcast media, as well as developing communication initiatives
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in English and Bangla.