BACKGROUND INFORMATION - JOB-SPECIFIC
The UNOPS Sri Lanka under the Bangladesh Multi Country Office (BDMCO) implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Sri Lanka is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, so as to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
Within this context, UNOPS is looking for an Intern, with a primary reporting line to the Partnership Development Manager in Sri Lanka, except when assigned to a practice area in which case s/he will report to the relevant technical team lead.
The main purpose of this assignment is to facilitate effective and timely reporting and communication on the UNOPS Office for Sri Lanka & Maldives, and its constituent programmes and projects.
The learning opportunities of the internship are:
- A broad understanding of formulating communication plans, reporting requirements from the regional and local offices of UNOPS projects, design, drawing up and updating of factsheets and dashboards.
- Exposure to a joint UN project implementation approach and partnership with government ministries/departments.
- Introduction to the UN and UNOPS brands, including training on brand guardianship and participation in UN coordination mechanisms for communication and reporting.
- Exposure to the Sri Lanka context, including field visits to UNOPS project sites.
- Mandatory training for all UNOPS personnel on the UN system, human rights, field security, cybersecurity, gender mainstreaming, prevention of sexual harassment and HIV/AIDS issues (including certification).
The Intern shall assist the Hiring Manager in the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in the timely delivery of narrative progress reports to donors and project partners in compliance with legal requirements; coordinate with Workstream Leads for updates/inputs on progress reports;
- Assist in developing and maintaining the Country Office Communication Plan;
- Assist in the development of communication and promotion materials to showcase country portfolio’s achievements, outputs and lessons learned;
- Assist in the finalization and packaging of project outputs such as plans, manuals, handbooks/guidebooks and similar documents;
- Assist in developing and enhancing presentation materials (PowerPoint presentation, case materials and other similar workshop/training materials);
- Assist in the development of media materials relevant to Country Office business plan;
- Support the production of project factsheets and other visibility materials, and preparation and timely distribution of press releases when required;
- Contribute to public information and communication activities at the Regional and HQ level;
- Represent the Country Office on UN Communication Group and other inter agency/ organization forum.
Visibility and branding
- Assist in a ‘brand guardian’ role by supporting development and editorial oversight of all public materials, including the website, presentations, proposals and reports;
- Participate in the production of social media content (pictures, testimonies, videos etc.)
- Advise the PDM on the production of visibility and promotional materials;
- Create, maintain, update and disseminate country factsheets;
- Drafting and translation of press releases;
- Information gathering for communication outreach material;
- Provide support to teams in event planning as well as outreach programmes.
- Bachelor University Degree is a minimum requirement. The incumbent should have graduated from such studies within three years prior to the application date of the internship;
- Enrollment in, or completion of Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Communication, Journalism or in any other relevant area is preferred.
- Previous experience in communication and/or reporting;
- Competent in the use of all commonly used computer software, including MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, Adobe Photoshop, and Google Suite; experience in graphic designing is desired
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS brand an advantage;
- Exceptional English communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Time management;
- Attention to detail;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Organizational ability and quality orientation;
- Teamwork skills;
- Goal-oriented and driven.