Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management and related monitoring and verification, community development, fund management, and procurement. Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
UNOPS is based in Islamabad and has a provincial office in Peshawar. In addition, UNOPS is administrating Global Environment Facility (GEF) small grants on behalf of UNDP to support community led projects in Baluchistan. Similarly, UNOPS is also acting as the Local Fund Agent of the Global Fund. In Pakistan, UNOPS monitors a grant portfolio of $600,000,000 by undertaking regular and mandatory field visits across the country including FATA to provide independent monitoring of the activities carried out by the grantees of the Global Fund.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall guidance, direction and supervision of the Partnership Development Manager, the Communications Assistant will be responsible for providing support services to Business Development and Programme activities. S/he is expected to support the PDM with proposal writing and other partnership management and communication related activities.
- Provide support to communications with the media representatives and other stakeholders
- Establish and regularly maintain the project contacts data base,
- Prepare communications material, brochures etc
- Establish and maintain the project’s calendar of events
- Maintain archive of project photos and media coverage
- Inform personnel about the project’s media coverage
- Support to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis of media coverage for the Project reports and on as needed basis as requested by the line manager
- Support to organize project events, donors/VIP visits, press conferences and other media opportunities
- Assist in the development of technical specifications and terms of references for purchase of services and goods needed for the conduct of communications activities
- Assist in the preparation of requisitions, payment requests and other administrative documentation related to the communications activities
- Provide communication support for organization of workshops/training
- Participate in the relevant UNOPS’ Communities of Practice
- Contribute to the sharing of the Project’s lessons learned and best practices
- Support incorporation of good governance, human rights and gender equality concepts, principles and best practices into the communication activities in accordance with the project objectives and methodology.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
Impact of Results
- Publications are delivered to relevant audiences in a timely manner
- An efficient filing and tracking system is maintained
- Actions are followed up promptly and efficiently
- Secondary education is required.
- Diploma, Bachelor degree or higher school certificate with certification in communications (Media Studies, Journalism, Political Science, or International Relations) would be an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of cumulative experience in the area of communications and operations, preferably with an international organization are required with secondary education. A first level/bachelor degree would be an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Good communication, confident writing, and good analytical skills are essential.
- Experience in creating and distributing e-newsletters and/or producing content for websites and social media in English is asset.
- Translating experience is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Package is required.
- Documented experience working with graphic design software (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) is an advantage.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English is required. Knowledge of Urdu and/or other local languages is required.