UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Regional Office provides oversight and technical support to 13 countries in the region to develop and implement programmes and policies to advance Gender Equality and Women Empowerment. The Regional Communications unit’s role is to support the Country Offices by providing technical support and quality assurance.
Reporting to the Communications Specialist, the Communications Associate supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public. In close collaboration with HQ communication team and Communications Officers in the country offices, the incumbent will ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives and follow innovative approaches and good practices. The Communications Associate provides substantive support in the media engagement activities to ensure they are effectively and efficiently streamlined, the management of the UN Women website and social media channels. The Communication Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide coordination support in the development and implementation of a coherent Regional Office communications and advocacy strategy:
- Provide inputs and background information for the development of the ROs communication strategy;
- Provide support to advocacy efforts and campaigns by organizing roundtable discussions, press conferences, and other publicity events and providing inputs to briefing materials and press releases;
- Provide support to programme and other RO/CO staff on UN Women corporate communications guidelines and printing norms;
- Track and monitor print and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform strategy development.
Provide coordination support to the development of Regional Office’s advocacy materials:
- Identify storylines and achievements within the Regional Office for online and print publications;
- Draft press releases, articles, stories, photo stories, key messages and other advocacy materials;
- Coordinate the translation, adaptation, or rewriting of information received for the local context; disseminate materials to appropriate stakeholders;
- Coordinate the publication of materials for final approval; maintain relationships with printers/ publishers;
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials, photos, and digital assets;
- Follow guidelines from RO/HQ.
Provide support to digital communications and advocacy:
- Provide support to Country offices in generating compelling digital advocacy contents, stories, and knowledge publications;
- Provide quality assurance of communications and knowledge products regarding the corporate branding guidelines;
- Monitor the regional digital platforms and provide analyses on UN Women performances on digital media;
- Coordinate vendor relationships as needed by coordinating the design and production of digital branding materials, including infographics and videos;
- Attend and cover live regional events as applicable;
- Create and deliver content databases, stories, photos, videos, quote cards, and other information and design materials - that help the organization build and nurture relationships with donors and the general public, globally;
- In accordance with the global content calendar, collect stories, photos and video about UN Women Programs, to show impact and build donor trust as well as engagement;
- Coordinate the production and distribution of the monthly/quarterly/biannual e-newsletters.
Provide media relations support to Regional office:
- Serve as a focal point on UN Women activities open to the press, as necessary;
- Maintain and update database of relevant press in country;
- Respond to request for information and arrange interviews, as delegated;
- Provide substantive inputs to talking points.
Facilitate knowledge management and sharing:
- Contribute to the identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Organize trainings and workshops on communication practices;
- Provide/ exchange information with HQ and RO, MCO, and COs.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Coordinate procurement of goods and services to implement communications activities, as needed;
- Provide support on special web/digital/media projects undertaken by the Regional Office.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely inputs to communication and advocacy materials;
- Timely organization of discussions, conferences, briefings and other events;
- Timely provision of relevant background information;
- Accurately edited and well written contents;
- Timely delivery of high-quality communication and advocacy materials.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism with minimum 3 years’ experience is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- At least 7 years (at least 3 years with a Bachelors degree) of progressively responsible experience in providing support to the formulation and implementation of internal and external communications and advocacy strategies and related plans;
- Experience in the use of the full MS Office package (particularly Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Experience with web content management systems (Sitecore, Drupal, Mailchimp) and/or with graphic design software’s such as Canva, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, is an asset;
- Experience writing for the web or journalistic experience is an asset:
- Experience in the use of social media and digital communications is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.