The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Communications Consultant within the Technology Division based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Technology Division, within WFP, has a very ambitious mandate – we believe that technology is the key to deliver operational effectiveness and innovation across the whole organization. As one of the largest divisions, the role technology plays in WFP’s future, both internally with products and services it develops to enable staff to work and externally with stakeholders such as donors, governments and partners is crucial.
TEC requires someone with expertise in marketing and communication (experience in the world of tech is a plus) to develop compelling communication strategies and content to help position the division both within the organization and externally through our core communication channels (media and digital).
Under the general supervision of the Head of Communications - Technology Division the incumbent will be responsible for:
Driving the communications strategy, agenda and content around two key pillars of the Technology Division: Digital Transformation and Data. Both areas focus on driving WFP into a tech-enabled future, where technology is at the core of all of WFP’s operations and data enables the organization to make the informed choices, supported by data. These two areas will be of ever-increasing focus with the division, and within the whole organization.
This is a high-profile role, focused on the following objectives:
- Lead the communication strategy development for Digital Transformation and Data – both across internal communication channels (eg. Intranet and on-site events) and external (conferences and social media).
- Work closely with our colleagues in the field offices to write-up relevant stories on key initiatives to be published on key communication channels.
- Ensure that agreed content, aligned with communication strategy, is delivered on time and in full, aligned with content calendar.
- Liaise with our colleagues in the Communication, Advocacy and Marketing Division to ensure that the Technology Division is represented across key events and channels.
- Monitor and analyze communication trends relevant to campaigns to identify impact and success;
- Propose creative communication, graphics and other lay out options to strengthen the report readability and appeal to the readership.
- Curate and organize videos and tutorials for end-users.
- Analyse and provide reports on coverage of the communication strategy, assist during the analysis of its impact.
- Other related duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Education: University Degree and/or advanced courses/training with emphasis in one of the following disciplines: Journalism, Marketing, Communications or other relevant field.
- Experience: 4 or more years of experience in Marketing, journalism, digital communications and/or specialized communications practices in IT or Digital solutions.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to persuade, influence and adapt communication styles to different situations and individuals;
- Excellent oral, editing and writing skills (preferably: story-telling skills journalistic style).
- Strong creative problem-solving and detail oriented;
- Specialized communications practices in IT or Digital solutions.
- Graphic design and video editing skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities;
- Ability to lead, coach, motivate a diverse team;
- Ability to travel to difficult settings and countries.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.