Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to fill the position of Communications Coordinator in Cox Bazar, Bangladesh.
Who we are?
DRC is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people globally.
Danish Refugee Council has been registered in Bangladesh since 2013 with a focus on responding to displacement and the Rohingya refugee influx. As a key part of this, DRC opened a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
About the job
This role has a country focus and is envisaged to develop expert communications products and positively position DRCs work in Bangladesh. Overall the role is envisaged to promote DRC's mission, mandate, work and advocacy strategies in country, working closely with management teams to identify appropriate methods to communicate to relevant parties.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- In coordination with the Advocacy Advisor, design and implement a country program communication and visibility strategy.
- Work with the programme teams/Programme Development and Quality(PDQ) department and donors to develop visibility and communication plans.
- Develop and produce DRC information and communication materials such as brochures, newsletters, stories / lessons learnt, human interest stories, blogs, photos, videos and regularly update the DRC website / Facebook page and other publications.
- To regularly visit projects in the field to ensure a direct link between programme work and media coverage, and to identify and generate high quality media and communication opportunities.
- Provide content for key communications materials including; pagers, organisational profile and annual reporting in especially on beneficiaries’ stories/case studies etc.
- To build relationships with media colleagues in other organisations (eg NGOs, UN agencies), to coordinate and collaborate on media projects.
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with Bangladesh media outlets and maintain a database of media contacts.
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and to draw lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on local media coverage issues relevant to DRC’s programme
- In collaboration with programme team, draft communications and advocacy material for different thematic work-streams, including newsletters, reports, promotional materials, and talking points for senior management.
- Take an active role on organising public events, including international celebrations at Refugee Site level as and whenever organized by field teams.
- Ensure compliance with donor communication requirements
- Develop and update an archive of media clipping
To be successful in this role you must have the following;
- At least 3 years' experience working in communications and/or advocacy, preferably with an international NGO
- University Degree in communication, journalism, advocacy or similar.
- Excellent English and Bangla interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written skills)
- Demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communication and advocacy materials
- Understanding of local media with strong networks developed
- Strong social media skills (eg using websites/Twitter/blogs)
- Proven skills in engaging national organizations in media and communications visibility
- Experience with info-graphic computer packages
- An eye for detail and accuracy and an ability to grasp complex issues and present them clearly
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively, innovatively and effectively with limited direct supervision;
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills. The ability to remain calm whilst deal with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- Flexibility to work out of normal offices hours is required, recognising media is not a standard “office hours” job.
- S/he must be able to plan and manage her/his own time effectively. The holder must exercise a strong work ethic and take responsibility for his/her own actions. High degree of flexibility with respect to working hours.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and actions