United Nations Development Programme, Beijing, China
Closing Date for Applications:
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work in several key areas: 1) Women’s economic empowerment; 2) Gender-responsive governance and ending violence against women; 3) Broad based advocacy and social norm change through advocacy and communication for development; 4) Strategic partnership and alliance building for GEWE. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific areas.
- Media plays a very important role in our daily life. Media helps form our social values. Partnering with private sector organizations, UN Women has been promoting the use of media, especially social media, as a powerful tool to advocate for elimination of violence against women and promote gender equality.
You will be assigned valuable, meaningful work that will make use of your dynamism and creativity. You will gain the following:
- Learn how to package complex information in a business-friendly manner.
- Work in a fast-paced environment and understand the nuances of the UN system. It’s intriguing, it’s challenging, and now you’re in it!
- Develop soft skills and learn how to work with people from varying professional and ethnic backgrounds.
- Actively participate in event planning and implementing, you will gain your knowledge on event organizing and enjoy this process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the Communications Intern, you will provide support to the Communications Officer on developing in-depth and creative information and communication content for social media channels, editorial texts and do translations when needed. Among others, your essential duties and tasks will be:
- Provide support to UN Women China communications work.
- Researching and assisting in the development of the content (text, photo, video) for UN Women China social media channels under the supervision of the Communications Officer.
- Support the development and dissemination of materials for advocacy and awareness-raising.
- Collection of information on the results of communication activities, including statistics and media reports.
- Provide translations and other administrative support to UN Women China office when needed.
- Background and relevant experience in communication and media; knowledge and experience of using/editing public social media platform is a must.
- Competent user of design software such as Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and InDesign is preferred.
- Knowledge, awareness, and sensitivity regarding gender issues.
- Good translation and writing skills in Chinese and English.
- Communicative and creative personality & good team player.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The Intern should meet the following qualifications:
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: communications, public relations, social science, or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (writing, speaking, reading, and listening) in Chinese and English are required.