Purpose of the position:
To coordinate and ensure effective implementation of WVU Communications plans in line with the Global 2030 Our Promise Strategy. The position holder mobilizes support for the most vulnerable children and works to increase influence, trust and impact of World Vision’s work in the country. Ensures all stakeholders are updated with the relevant information.
The position holder works to; Communicate World Vision's Christian identify and brand, Gather and produce communications content, Engage with mainstream and social media, Manage reputational risk, Facilitates executive and internal engagements. He/She provides communications guidance to communications and Programme officers and oversees day-to-day operations for the division.
Strategy & Operations
- Lead the execution of an integrated communications strategy to build World Vision’s reputation and strengthen the brand with key audiences. The position holder will use opportunities to communicate who we are, what we do and why we do it in a consistent, clear and strategic way.
- He/She will lead to advance communications work around the global campaign; "It Takes A World To End Violence Against Children" ( ITAW)
Engage With Mainstream and On Social Media
- Drive positive association with World Vision by effectively positioning World Vision in the media and by engaging social media users with our unique strengths, approach and impact to create a strong social following for World Vision.
Gather, Produce and Share Communication Content
- Manage the creation and timely dissemination of high-quality, child-focused content/multi-media packages to meet World Vision’s priority audience needs, including advocacy, external engagement, grant acquisition and other resource development activities.
Reputation and Risk
- Enhances and protects World Vision’s brand, partners and communities by identifying and addressing risk issues that might damage stakeholders’ perception of World Vision and partners.
- Works closely with the regional office to mitigate and respond to controversial events and risk incidents, ensuring quick response to/ and recovery from disruption.
- Manage a team of communications officers, empowering and equipping them to deliver a focused portfolio of first-class content and media engagement profiling World Vision Uganda development, and advocacy interventions.
Learning & Growth: Develop and ensure implementation of continuous development plans for communications officers.
- In partnership with advocacy, marketing and fundraising colleagues, develop and maintains excellent working relationships with external stakeholders including the government, key UN and NGO partners, policy makers and other stakeholder audiences for collaboration and strengthening of partnerships for impact.
National Office Internal Communications:
- Collaborate with the People & Culture Division to ensure timely and smooth flow of staff communications. Support the development of internal communications products through update bulletins/newsletters, podcasts, videos and other evolving platforms.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- Post graduate qualifications in journalism, communications or public relations, marketing or development fields.
- Additional qualifications in Digital Communications, photography and video production offer an added advantage.
- Ability to identify and understand different audiences and utilise appropriate communication channels and content.
- Demonstrated experience leading effective digital communications, including social media and an understanding of relevant tools and trends.
- Able to select and evaluate critical information to plan and manage communications for the national office.
- Able to manage multiple requests and prioritize according to strategic needs, applying an agile approach to decision-making and execution.
- Proven ability to lead, inspire and support a team.
- Able to develop messaging and key communications products.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically, manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Experience in media relations, public speaking and/or serving as a spokesperson.
- Strong interpersonal, cross cultural and communication skills.
- Excellent command of English both written and spoken.
- Results oriented and ability to remain calm in chaos and uncertainty.
- Proven ability to provide authoritative input and solutions on strategic issues.
- Able to train and mentor others.