Communications Manager - Country Program
Catholic Relief Services, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
The Communications Manager for CRS Kenya & Somalia is responsible for developing and executing an effective and comprehensive communications strategy to raise the country program’s profile with target audiences, including donors, partners, local media, national and local government, the Catholic Church and others. S(he) will work closely with the Senior Management team and Regional and HQ Communications staff to ensure strategic alignment of communications, consistent messaging and a strong brand identity. The Communications Manager creates content and uses effective communications channels to help position CRS Kenya & Somalia for funding and influence.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Regional Communications staff, create and the CRS Kenya & Somalia Senior Management Team, develop and implement a robust communications strategy that supports country programs' business goals and aligns with the regional and agency strategy.
- Work with senior leadership in the CP in support of representation for CRS in Kenya and Somalia (as appropriate).
- Write, design and manage the production of creative and compelling communication and marketing materials – success stories, photos, videos, fact sheets, brochures, etc. - for various audiences, including public and private donors, local and national governments, the local Church, partners, media and others as needed.
- Manage and work with local creatives in the production of above marketing materials with final approval/review from HQ teams.
- Identify and serve as the main contact for local media engagement and help identify relevant spokespeople, providing coaching as needed.
- In collaboration with program teams and Regional Communications staff, help develop specific messages tailored for each audience and identify and utilize effective distribution channels to disseminate communications materials to key audiences.
- As appropriate, manage social media channels like Facebook or Twitter with guidance and support from the HQ Social Media department.
- Provide marketing and communications support for events, including signage, handouts, talking points, photos, liaising with media, etc.
- Train and coach relevant country program staff and partners on best practices in communications.
- Support program managers to create innovative and creative project branding, while ensuring compliance with donor requirements and with CRS’ branding protocols.
- Create and publish a regular communications newsletter to provide recent and relevant updates on Country Program operations and programming, as well as overall agency updates.
- Support Country Programs in applications for required communication licenses and serve as the Focal Contact person for the Kenya government communication regulatory office to ensure full compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with Program Managers and MEAL unit to ensure lessons learned relevant to beneficiaries are documented and disseminated internally/externally as required.
- Support sectoral technical leads/partners in designing and using tailored information, education and communication (IEC) materials as needed.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, is strongly desired.
- Strong photography skills.
- Provide 'dotted line' technical support as needed to project-specific communications staff.
Basic Qualifications (BQs)
- Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related studies; experience in INGOs or UN preferred. A Master's degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 4 years progressive marketing and communication experience, ideally for an NGO or another organization in development and relief programming.
- Individual must possess the ability to influence without direct authority.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully disseminating information to a variety of target audiences.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%.
- Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and desktop publishing skills
- This position is open to Kenyan Nationals only