The Communication and Media Manager will lead in the development of media strategies that are ambitious and creative to maximise the coverage of the Rohingya humanitarian crisis, with a focus on children, and in line with our advocacy objectives.
The post holder will work with the Global Media Unit and with Save the Children members to identify and proactively develop relationships with influential media, find and generate story opportunities, s/he will react to major breaking stories, write / provide guidance on newsworthy press materials (press releases, case studies, media briefings), identify, and when needed, act as spokesperson, s/he will also push out press messages on key social media networks, such as Twitter and Facebook.
The Communication and Media Manager will also lead on the communication work of the crisis. He/she will support manage the production, promotion and dissemination of high-quality communications materials telling the story of children and of Save the Children’s work.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or its equivalent in media relations, communications, or related areas.
- Commitment to spend around 40-50 percent of the time in the refugee camps.
- At least 5 years experience in as a journalist, press officer or in a position which involves media handling.
- Strong track record in obtaining media coverage, demonstrated skill in generating and pitching news stories, and experience of acting as a media spokesperson.
- Experience in designing and implementing effective media strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of effective spokespersoning across a range of media
- Ability to work fast, effectively and independently in often high pressure environments, working across a number of teams to deliver high media output
- Sound grasp of different media outlets – including key influential titles and outlets both at a country and regional level.
- Ability to summarise complex data (scientific, technical, economic) confidently, with little or no need for checking by experts in other teams and communicate this in ways that are accessible to a range of audiences and cultures, and that fit with Save the Children’s brand messages with little or no need for editing
- Understanding of and ability to use social and digital media to increase news reach
- Demonstrable ability to meet deadlines and make decisions on what to prioritise when working under pressure on a number of projects
- Good understanding of the use of media to undertake campaigns and advocacy work.
- Sound understanding of the major economic, social development and poverty issues in Asia.
- Experience in working in multicultural environment
- Excellent training, facilitation, and team building skills. Innovative and creative approach to problem solving.
- Experience of building personal networks of relevant media contacts,
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Demonstrated skill in using social media and the internet to achieve policy changes an/or improvements
- Photography skills
- Experience in working in humanitarian settings
- Experience in engaging the public in campaign
- Audio and film skills