IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Communications Officer candidates for a global, cross-sectoral USAID Youth in Development Activity. This project will design and apply an approach to using implementation research to strengthen cross-sectoral positive youth development programming, help youth-led and youth-serving organizations use implementation research, and synthesize and promote findings broadly. The Communications Officer will be based in either Jordan or Tunisia.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Lead the design and implementation of the project communications strategy
- Develop content supporting project outreach through digital, visual and text platforms
- Engage with partners and youth participants to support their communications efforts as well as contributions to overall project outreach strategy
- Contribute significantly to project reporting, including writing reports; provide required communications inputs to project reporting
- Design and conduct technical trainings on social media, digital marketing, digital campaigns and technology for project staff, partners, and youth participants
- Create and compile content and/or campaigns that are compelling and engaging for key audiences, including youth
- Develop and maintain a keen understanding of challenges and issues facing effective media and communications in target countries
- Cultivate relationships with relevant local and international media and other partners
- Support efforts in project planning, budgeting, and administrative issues
- Represent IREX and the project publicly.
Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Jordanian or Tunisian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required
- At least five (3) years of experience in leveraging media, innovative technology, social and digital marketing tools to deliver key messages and deploy compelling digital campaigns
- Comprehensive knowledge of media, social media and technology landscapes in MENA
- Knowledge of communications landscape in other world regions a plus
- Experience with international donor-funded development projects.
- Proficiency with social media, mobile platforms and multimedia content to reach diverse stakeholders including youth required
- Ability to craft and compile content to make it accessible, compelling and engaging for key audiences including youth
- Relevant professional and/or academic background in media- or communications-related field
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills required
- Spoken and written fluency in English required. Fluency/proficiency in Arabic and other languages a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred.