The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) jointly administer the Pacific Financial Inclusion Programme (PFIP). The second phase of PFIP ends by Dec 2020 and the programme management in consultation with national stakeholders in various Pacific countries have conducted the feasibility and scoping for two new initiatives. The inception phase of these new programmes will be implemented during the next two years. Under the overarching global theme of “Leaving No One Behind in the Digital Era”, these programmes are;
The Pacific Digital Economy Programme is a joint initiative from UNCDF, UNDP and UNCTAD, and in close collaboration with key stakeholders from public and private sector aim to support the development of inclusive digital economies in the Pacific addressing the impact of COVID-19 and at the same time leveraging its catalytic potential. Inclusive digital economies that allow rural communities, women and MSMEs, as well as labour mobility workers to enhance market participation, resulting in poverty reduction, improved livelihoods and economic growth.
The Pacific Insurance and Climate Adaptation Programme is a joint initiative implemented by UNCDF, UNDP and the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS), and in close collaboration with key stakeholders from public and private sector and other development partners, aiming to address the challenges of post disaster financing in the Pacific.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of key functions:
- Lead the development and implementation of creative communication strategies
- Design relevant communication and engagement materials to support the programmes
- Provide broader support on media and resource mobilization to the team
Lead the development and implementation of creative communication strategies
- Develop and implement communications plans which includes a timeline of key communications products;
- Develop and maintain close working relations for communication related matters with programmes, country offices and colleagues from UNCDF, UNDP and other UN agencies involved in the implementation of the programmes;
- Identify subjects/stories of interest pertaining to the programmes’ efforts at the country or regional level to develop communications products, such as feature stories, press releases and social media posts;
- Focus on the programmes’ key audiences, which include financial institutions, development partners, donors etc;
- Set targets, alongside a strong monitoring and evaluation protocol;
Design relevant communication and engagement materials to support the programmes
- Conceptualize a set of new engaging documents to inform stakeholders and the general public about the programmes
- Co-develop, as relevant, high quality media tools, including audio-visual, photographic and printed materials, television and radio programmes, multimedia presentations, social media, videos and press releases, bulletins etc., to promote the visibility, achievements and success stories of the programmes;
- Conceptualize, draft and coordinate the development of innovative visual assets such as infographics, animations and video clips with colleagues, vendors and partners;
- Re-package, write, edit, re-write, and commission information/stories including those submitted by field staff and others for dissemination via UNCDF’s, UNDP’s and other channels to global audiences;
- Prepare communication materials to be used for resource mobilization in convincing and encouraging donors;
- Represent UNCDF in the UN Communication Group and provide appropriate technical support as required;
- Organize learning events, press interactions and meetings to increase the visibility of and knowledge about the programmes;
- Ensure highest standards of accuracy and editorial content in all external outputs;
- Propose and draft news initiatives and outputs;
- Perform any other communication specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Provide broader support on media and resource mobilization to the team
- Maintain an up to date database of partners, journalists and media organizations, respond to media enquiries (requests for interviews, statements) on deadline, and build dialogue with individual journalists, editors and news-desks;
- Liaise with the press/media to advocate and disseminate information on the various projects and initiatives from the programmes;
- Organize interviews and filming opportunities to support high visibility of projects achievements through television, radio and newspapers, etc;
- Work with colleagues to help identify communications and resources mobilization opportunities at regional level and in key countries;
- Work with colleagues to help implement communications and resources mobilization strategies and plans at regional level and in key countries. This includes advising on content, messaging, support the preparation of presentations, concept notes and full proposals as well as providing logistical support around meetings and events.
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on the Joint Programmes. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNCDF and UNDP communications and publication strategies, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Informed and transparent decision making
- In-depth knowledge of development issues in the Pacific region
- Thorough knowledge of communications
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more of the programmes’ thematic areas
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Possesses strong project management skills
- Speaks clearly and convincingly, demonstrating strong presentation skills in meetings
- Listens actively, acknowledging and responding constructively to other points of view
- Ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent networking capabilities
- Writes clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences
- Demonstrates web content management skills.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Communication, Political Sciences, Public Information, International Relations or related areas.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in:
- Developing creative communication strategies. This involves communications plans which includes a timeline of key communications products, a set of targets and channels, alongside a strong monitoring and evaluation protocol.
- Designing strong communications materials
- Taking photographs or filming video which are of professional quality
- Organizing key events (workshops, conferences…)
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization desired.