The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) helps the United Nations (UN) and its partners provide peace and security, humanitarian, and development solutions. UNOPS services cover infrastructure, project management, procurement, financial management and human resources.
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure and by the efficient, transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
In response to the request of the Government of Ukraine, UNOPS opened an office in Ukraine in 2017, which provides a broad spectrum of services to the Government and the people of Ukraine. The portfolio includes projects in the areas of rule of law, crisis recovery, good governance, human resources management, procurement, and logistics.
Under the supervision of the Head of Programme Management Office (PMO), with day to day coordination with other communications officers and Office/projects’ personnel, the Communications Officer will be responsible for efficient and effective management of communications activities. He/she will contribute to the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of communication actions and materials, while ensuring full compliance with UNOPS and different donors visibility requirements and guidelines. This will lead to raising awareness of target audiences about UNOPS, its projects’ results and impacts.
The Communications Officer will undertake the following activities:
- Establish and cultivate relationships with the counterparts in the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), donors, Government ministries and bodies, local self-governments, development organisations and programmes
- Establish and cultivate partnerships with the key national, regional and local media
- Collate and develop reports and presentation about UNOPS/its activities for the key stakeholders
- Delivery and performance:
- Conduct periodical mapping and document UNOPS stakeholders
- Prepare briefing materials, reports, analysis of political, socio and economic trends relevant for UNOPS Ukraine
- Prepare materials for business development activities pursued by the Office, customising to specific stakeholder needs and interests
- Ensure and contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the Communication Strategies and the Internal and External Communications Plans
- Conduct activities related to the visibility and publicity of UNOPS Ukraine
- Support the organisation of the officials visits, press conferences and public events
- Lead and supervise organisation of internal Office events as directed
- Provide communication support for organisation of trainings and workshops
- Cooperate with media and provide information on UNOPS activities
- Maintain the media contact database and the library of UNOPS Ukraine media coverage
- Ensure monthly qualitative and quantitative analysis of UNOPS media coverage
- Contribute to the updates of UNOPS website and social network accounts; ensure that they are systematically updated and maintained
- Liaise with and supervise the graphic designers’ work on visibility/promotional material
- Draft Terms of Reference for communications consultants
- With the guidance of the Procurement Officer, support preparation of tenders for the publicity material (including print, graphics, web, audio and video)
- Ensure gender equality and diversity principles and practices are incorporated into the communications products, in accordance with the UNOPS objectives
- Ensure respect of project management, procurement and communications requirements/procedures
- Ensure efficient and effective management of the communications budget and compliance with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR)
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement mitigation measures in accordance with the UNOPS Ukraine Risk Management Approach
- Contribute to planning activities and timely delivery of approved work, procurement, and financial plans for the communications activities
- Provide accurate and high quality inputs to reports
- Provide accurate and quality inputs needed for monitoring of the projects’ performance, outputs and benefits
- Participate in the UNOPS’ communities/contribute to the knowledge management and sharing in Currents
- Contribute to identification and sharing of lessons learned and the best practices
- Supervise external consultants
- The Communications Officer may be asked to lead or assist with other activities in the Office as required.
- Masters OR Bachelors degree in journalism/media, public relations, communications, linguistics, international relations, social sciences or other relevant studies is required.
- Minimum two years post-Masters degree or four years post-Bachelor's degree of relevant experience in public relations and communications, including proven experience in drafting various communication and visibility materials, organising events working with international organizations, government institutions, diplomatic missions is required.
- Fluency oral and written English and Ukrainian is required.
- Excellent drafting skills in English and Ukrainian is required.