The Communications Officer will collaborate closely with other UN Women South Sudan colleagues as well as the UN South Sudan Team, UN Women Headquarters and Regional Office counterparts, to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives and follow good practices. The Communication Officer applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Plan and design communications and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans:
- Prepare and conduct communications needs assessments for the UN Women South Sudan Office, including for projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Analyse requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communications strategies; ensuring gender perspective;
- Integrate communications, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Develop, coordinate, implement and monitor the implementation of the South Sudan annual communications and advocacy strategies and plans;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports, and provide analysis to RO/HQ (when needed);
- Coordinate UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events and ensure UN Women’s active participation and visibility in UNCT Communications Group and ensuing joint communications activities;
- Plan and propose communications strategies for the Women, Peace and Security Working Group (WPSWG).
Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of communications, advocacy and knowledge products:
- Develop and produce communications materials, including brochures, publications, briefing materials, press releases, and articles, and manage their dissemination;
- Oversee the quality and compliance of the visual and print products with the UN Women corporate branding, publication, photo, social media and the other guidelines;
- Identify and propose information-sharing opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of global or regional communications materials, coordinate printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO and advise the UN Women South Sudan team on the required guidelines, standards and requirements.
Coordinate media relations for UN Women South Sudan :
- Manage relationships with the media; maintain and update a media database;
- Respond to media inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
- Organize interview opportunities, roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for the media, as required;
- Send Media invitations and press releases as needed;
- Draft talking points for the Country Representative, Regional and HQ visits;
- Consolidate briefing notes for high-level visits.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors:
- Identify and develop new communications partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, institutions, partners and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors.
Maintain the UN Women South Sudan online presence:
- Manage the UN Women South Sudan social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Provide content on UN Women South Sudan activities to be published on the regional UN Women website;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to UN Women South Sudan goals and activities;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content;
- Timely updating of website and social media;
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in Kosovo;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
Required Skills and Experience
Education & Certification:
- Master’s Degree in media and communications, journalism or related field.
- University Degree (BA) in media and communications, journalism or related field with additional 2 years of relevant experience maybe considered in lieu of a Masters.
- Additional training and certification in communication and related areas is a strong advantage.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated work experience in communications and media relations;
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in the field of gender, media and public relations;
- Experience in the use of social media, multi-media and digital platforms;
- Experience required in editing and copywriting skills, including articles, reports, social media content, press releases preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in video and photo editing and design software is an asset.
- Previous experience with gender issues is an asset
- Experience in establishing priorities for self and others, to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Good knowledge of project management.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.