United Nations Office for Project Services, Sana'a, Yemen
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The Communication Officer will be based in Yemen under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. Accordingly the incumbent will be required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Establish and cultivate relationships with the counterparts in the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), donors, Government ministries and bodies, local self-governments, development organizations and programmes
- Establish and cultivate partnerships with the key national, regional and local media
- Collate and develop reports and presentations about UNOPS/its activities for the key stakeholder.
- Serve as the focal point for the United Nations Communications Group in Yemen, and actively promote UNOPS within the inter-agency fora;
- Maintain relationships with Communications Officer in the Amman Hub, as well as with HQ, CPG and external partners to gather information and provide advice on communications products and outreach;
Delivery and performance:
- Conduct periodical mapping and documenting UNOPS stakeholders
- Prepare briefing materials, reports, analysis of political, socio and economic trends relevant for UNOPS Yemen
- Prepare materials for business development activities pursued by the Office, customizing to specific stakeholder needs and interests
- Develop a communications strategy for the Yemen Office, covering both internal and external communications; ensure and contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the Communication Strategies and the Internal and External Communications Plans
- Conduct activities related to the visibility and publicity of UNOPS Yemen
- Support the organization of the officials visits, press conferences and public events
- Lead and supervise organization of internal Office events as directed
- Provide communication support for organizations' trainings and workshops
- Cooperate with media and provide information on UNOPS activities
- Maintain the media contact database and the library of UNOPS Yemen media coverage
- Ensure monthly qualitative and quantitative analysis of UNOPS media coverage
- Contribute to the updates of UNOPS website and social network accounts; ensure that they are systematically updated and maintained
- Liaise and supervise the graphic designers’ work on visibility/promotional material and ensure or enhance the quality and relevance of country-specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages for sharing with partners;
- Preparing briefings, presentations and background materials for the Regional/ Hub Director, the Head of Programme, Project Manager and/ or Partnerships Advisor;
- Provide substantive content for the project website, highlighting project achievements and other relevant evidence-based information generating through monitoring process;
- Contribute in the development of key messages on UNOPS programming in the region, including for partners, local and international media;
- Produce fact sheets on specific projects with success stories and UNOPS services in Yemen;
- Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate;
- Develop and maintain contact list of journalists and media outlets including print, TV, radio, web etc. and institutionalize a process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to showcase and highlight the success and lessons from the ongoing UNOPS Projects;
- Ensure a well maintained and continually developed contact list of individuals, groups, organizations and fora (including Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts) for purposes of communication
- Ensure gender mainstreaming , gender equality and diversity principles and practices are incorporated into the communications products, in accordance with the UNOPS objectives
- Ensure respect of project management, procurement and communications requirements/procedures
- Ensure efficient and effective management of the communications budget and compliance with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR)
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement mitigation measures in accordance with the UNOPS Yemen Risk Management Approach
- Contribute to planning activities and timely delivery of approved work, procurement, and financial plans for the communications activities
- Provide accurate and quality inputs needed for monitoring of the projects’ performance, outputs , benefits and reports
- With the guidance of the Procurement Officer, support preparation of tenders for the publicity material (including print, graphics, web, audio and video)
- Participate in the UNOPS’ communities/contribute to the knowledge management and sharing in Currents
- Contribute to identification and sharing of lessons learned and the best practices
- Close interaction with Programme/Project staff to share information and knowledge as related to projects and communications;
- Supervise external consultants
- Draft Terms of Reference for communications consultants
- The Communications Officer may be asked to lead or assist with other activities in the Office as required.
- A first level university degree in communications, journalism, public relations, international development, linguistics, social science , business administration or international relation.
- 2 years of experience in a communication , public relations ,Journalism or relevant role
- Experience in research and analysis, reporting, external relations, communications, advocacy, business administration, and/or outreach in international organizations is required.
- Experience in producing analytical reports and communications products is required.
- Experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector is required.
- Experience in the Middle East is preferred.
- Experience in international organizations and/ or the UN system is required.
- Experience in preparing, coordinating, and leading donor reporting processes is required.
- Computer literacy in particular MS Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to analyze online communications using performance indicators is desirable.
- Excellent understanding on the intersection of technology, web design, editorial, digital, social media and multimedia platforms is desirable.
- Knowledge of digital media, visual communications and interactive storytelling methods is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
- Contract type, level and duration