Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The Communications Officer (CO) is responsible for providing Communications Measurement & Evaluation support to foundation communications strategies. This role will act as a go between with our research and communications vendors and the wider communications team or internal foundation partners. Other activities will include internal project management of our Measurement & Insights research work as they relate to ongoing initiatives.
Key responsibilities of the CO include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Scope, project-manage, and lead qualitative and quantitative research focused on perceptions of the foundation, its work, and related programmatic areas. This includes projects focused on perception and attitude benchmark and tracking, message development, content testing audience segmentation, and evaluation of communications’ impact.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information and identify (and present) implications.
- Translate findings into insights that can be used across the foundation through concise written and verbal presentations.
- Serve as internal public opinion specialist, advising colleagues on existing research and options for future work.
- Work collaboratively with key internal partners across the foundation, including in regional offices.
- Responsible for managing small portfolio of research data vendors, and will be helpful to be familiar with the research supplier landscape, particularly outside the US including potential new vendors.
- Supporting the implementation of tools/systems to measure the outputs, outcomes and impact of the foundation’s digital communications.
- Provide thought partnership with grantees and colleagues, share learning across the field and maximize impact of foundation projects.
- Position Reports to: Deputy Director, Measurement & Insights
Core Knowledge and Skills
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated skills and experience in public opinion research as well as being analytically meticulous and technically proficient, but capable of bringing those findings alive in simple, relevant, jargon-free narratives to a wide body of internal parties. Furthermore, experience evaluating digital communications campaigns and owned channel performance, along with experience using social and traditional media analytics is a plus.
- Experience using social listening and media analysis tools such as: Brandwatch, Meltwater, Cision, Quid, is a plus.
- Practical expertise in a professional capacity (preferably in a client serving organization, PR Agency, or advocacy organization/sector NGO) of communication measurement and evaluation strategies, as well as project and/or program management.
- Advanced practical knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including pivot -tables and macros, and strong data visualization skills in PowerPoint.
- Proficient at presenting data in a visually attractive, compelling, and comprehensible manner through scorecards, dashboards, charts or infographics.
- Proven understanding of project management processes, workflows, and terminology.
- Experience crafting projects in communications and advocacy. Specifically, developing theories of change, indicators for evaluating success, and reporting.
- Experience in project management and managing vendors producing research and evaluations.
- Preferred location is Seattle WA or Washington DC.
- Availability to travel up to 25% of the time pending resuming in person activities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 5+ years of experience in consumer research, with preference for major marketing organization, policymaking organization, or research supplier.
- MBA or relevant Master’s degree preferred (Market Research, Statistics, etc.) preferred.
- Work experience in a multinational setting, preference for experience in Europe, Africa, India, and/or China.
- Knowledge of quantitative, qualitative and cutting-edge research methodologies.
- Experience working in non-profit/public health, government, communications / digital agency, or private sector organization is strongly preferred.