Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
The Communications Officer’s major responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Ensure strategic and timely flow of information and key messages about the ECCU5 country unit, its operations, and its analytical work to key external and internal audiences;
• Work closely with the ECCU5 external affairs officers based in-country, the country units, and project teams to organize – often across multiple teams – press briefings; major conferences and seminars; public, print media, or broadcast media appearances; and other communications-related activities;
• Write and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products (e.g., backgrounders, media packets, news releases, op-eds/articles, radio/TV broadcasts, powerpoint presentations, brochures, Q&As, videos, websites, speeches, briefing notes, feature stories, etc.) that promote the image of ECCU5 to key internal and external audiences;
• Provide regular communication support to country/regional operations with the guidance and support of the ECAEX team in Washington. This includes working with the team and ECCU5 EXT towards; (i) making communication based inputs into the upstream reviews, (ii) helping task teams to implement the communication aspects of the operations they manage, and (iii) promoting the Bank as a brain trust by using its knowledge products (ESWs, AAAs, Flagships, etc.) to influence EU policy dialogue and country/regional reforms that reduce extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity;
• Monitor and analyze current events and public and press opinion in Brussels and the ECCU5 countries;
• Initiate and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and/or external constituencies (particularly, the EU community, media, civil society, NGOs, academia, the private sector, government agencies, and Parliamentarians) in Brussels, as well as continuing to cover the Baltic states;
• Identify opportunities for and forge strategic partnerships both inside and outside the Bank to improve dialogue and outreach (including joint seminars and press events) and to strengthen the Bank's overall effectiveness and image in Brussels and the ECCU5 countries;
• Work closely with ECAEX’s online and social media teams to manage and maintain the ECCU5 and wider CMU websites and social media, including Facebook and blog sites;
• Plan, coordinate, schedule and work on logistics by closely coordinating with other ECCU5 colleagues for the visiting missions which often include visits by the President and other senior management, meetings with key constituencies, major conferences and seminars, and other outreach activities on development agenda; and
• Work independently, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from more senior staff.
Essential Specialized Skills/Knowledge/Competencies:
• Communication in International Development - Very good ability at communicating with internal and external partners, and can articulate their communication needs; solid understanding of relevant international development topics; previous experience as a communications specialist.
• Social Media, Information Channels, and Communication Tools Awareness - Has moderate experience in and/or demonstrates excellent familiarity with and working knowledge of media channels and tools.
• Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills - Has the ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations. In-depth knowledge of social, political, and development issues in Brussels and the ECCU5 countries.
• Content Development - Has moderate experience in and/or demonstrates proficiency at a level sufficient to take full responsibility for the development of communication materials or lead others in developing drafts of communication materials.
• Content and Style Editing – Excellent written communications skills; has experience in and/or demonstrates substantive working or functional proficiency level sufficient to write, rewrite, or edit complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical, persuasive presentation.
• Communication Strategy, Planning, and Execution - Has moderate experience in and/or demonstrates a working or functional proficiency level sufficient to lead the planning, development, and execution of a communication strategy in support of defined objectives.
• Relationship Management and Political Awareness - Has moderate experience in and/or demonstrates a level of working or functional proficiency sufficient to strategize, plan, and implement the development and maintenance of relationships with critical internal and/or external constituencies to foster.
• Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
• Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Strong interpersonal skills – Has the ability to work effectively with internal/external partners in a multicultural environment.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.
• Access to Information Policy - Full understanding of risks and opportunities of increased access to information, with in-depth proficiency sufficient to handle the distribution, design, and delivery of communications products.
• A Master’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other relevant field, with a minimum of five years of relevant experience in outreach and communications work, with specialized knowledge on working with media and social media; or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
• Proven writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English, knowledge of French, and an ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct, and lively style.
• Knowledge and applied work experience in social media sufficient to execute, lead, or advise others in assuring that online communication and audience engagement tools and channels are fully leveraged.
• Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably handle/juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines. Experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Strong computer skills – has the ability to use standard Bank technology packages, e.g., Word, Lotus Notes, PowerPoint, Internet, Excel, etc.