Produce communication and fundraising resources and pursue media opportunities and exposure. Given the high importance of private, in addition to institutional funding, the role is essential in ensuring that Medair raises the financial support and awareness necessary to achieve its mission.
Bangladesh: Medair’s emergency response team and partner World Concern completed shelter and hygiene kit distributions for Rohingya refugees in November, 2017, and Medair is now transitioning into longer-term programming with a focus on nutrition, health and shelter services in the refugee camps.
Nepal: In response to the earthquakes in April and May 2015, Medair’s programme has delivered emergency assistance and was involved in early recovery activities to aid earthquake-affected communities. Medair will scale down its work in Nepal in 2019 once completing its last reconstructions activities in the country.
Key Activity Areas
Communications and Fundraising Resources
- Travel frequently to field projects to pro-actively obtain resources. Gather and prepare communication and programme information content for input into the document management software and online photo database (photos, video footage, stories, quotes, programme updates, reports).
- Gather and prepare fundraising materials (project overviews and proposals, reports, gift handles, direct marketing resources, thank-you videos).
- Brief all staff during in-country briefing about their role in communicating about the organisation.
- Manage swift approval at field level of communications and fundraising material before publication.
- Prepare and accompany field visits of high profile visitors, photographers, journalists, or media crews accredited by HQ Marketing and Relationships (M&R) department.
Media and Public Relations
- Regularly monitor local press and events to be aware of and get information about local emergencies.
- Conduct media analysis so priority channels and audiences are defined.
- Act as an expert/advisor to the programme leadership and team.
- Act as media spokesperson for Medair’s interests in the field. Be ready to quickly convey strong and accurate messages and information through print and digital media.
- Create “media packs” to proactively share Medair content with media contacts.
- Actively conceptualise short content updates, interactive features on Facebook and other social media such as Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest in coordination with the HQ M&R staff.
- Support HQ M&R in maintaining relations with online social media users and fans.
- Train and encourage field staff on the appropriate use of online social media. Actively monitor communications initiated by field staff (e.g. social media posts, personal websites, newsletters, etc.).
Institutional Donors Relations
- Review proposals and reports, to insure compliance on communication agreements.
- Regularly provide stories, photos, and communication reports to communication representative.
Brand and co-branding Coordination
- Promote the design of Medair and institutional donor branding in all field communication.
- Advise Programme Managers on institutional donor marking visibility budgets, conditions, and requirements. Advise logistics staff on the correct design of field visibility items.
- Ensure that Medair staff who are interviewed or photographed have access to appropriate Medair branded clothing, and appropriate signage is visible on programme vehicles, buildings, and items.
- Assist field leadership team in improving internal communication within the programme.
- Distribute the Annual Report, newsletters, etc, among staff and external contacts in the field.
- Manage communication budget lines included in the financial budget.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate/postgraduate/professional qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years of professional experience in media, communications, marketing, or fundraising.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Strong grasp of online social media tools and techniques.
- Excellent and inspiring communicator. Outgoing but also diplomatic.
- Keen to share information internally and provide training.
- Self-starter while being a team player. Ability to work alone (in terms of own objectives) yet in collaboration with others who are working towards very different objectives.
- Highly organised with a creative flair and a good attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Ability to process large amounts of technical information and to summarise.