The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Syria is looking for a dynamic, talented, and reliable national Communications Officer to manage the social media and online communication for the Syria Country team! The incumbent will need to be native in both English and Arabic, savvy on all social media platforms, with sufficient experience in using social media to launch advocacy campaigns to raise awareness of and enhance the organization’s brand, and possess a deep understanding of the media and social media landscape in Syria, regionally and internationally.
Preference will be given to those with professional experience in managing UN institutional social media accounts and creating appealing content, as well as those who display a passion for helping WFP in its mandate to provide victims of crises with basic needs for survival so that they can dream of a better future.
Under the supervision of the Head of Communications in Syria, the incumbent will work within the communications unit to assist in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating advocacy and communications strategy to bring food security issues into the public domain and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
As a matter of priority, the incumbent will be responsible for launching, growing and maintaining World Food Programme Syria’s social media presence in all the relevant platforms, ensuring that all social media interactions in accordance with the World Food Programme guidelines, increasing the Country programme’s visibility online and monitoring social media. The incumbent will also assist in maintaining WFP’s internal Communications platforms.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the head of communications unit, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Manage the social media accounts of the WFP Syria Country Programme.
- Prepare posts by identifying content in both English and Arabic that is of interest for WFP Syria response, and choosing and/or creating accompanying visuals to maximize visibility.
- Maximize spread of WFP Syria communications, including WFP Syria success stories and achievements, Country Director visits and visits and media presence of other WFP Syria staff, and highlight the human element of the crisis by promoting personal experience stories.
- Develop social media strategy with the approval from the Communications Officer with the goal of promoting country programme goals as well as help generate public support for activities of our programme.
- Monitor reactions to social media posts, with special care to risks to organizational reputation, and replying in accordance with guidelines or after coordination with the head of Communications.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of various social media platforms, tailoring posts according to success. Regularly update the Communications Officer with lessons learned from analysis.
- Maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage etc.) for future use, when needed, to increase WFP Syria brand recognition and interest.
- Any other tasks as necessary. Flexibility is a must
- Proficiency in the use of all different and emerging platforms;
- Advanced knowledge in social media analytics and insights tools;
- Experience working with Photoshop and video editing software such as Premiere;
- Strong understanding of humanitarian work and issues;
- Good understanding of WFP mandate and policies.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Understands organizational risks to WFP and how to protect against them.
Knowledge Management and Operational Awareness:
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Understands the importance of timeliness and recognizes opportunities when they present themselves;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education : Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, arts or social science, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Typically, one year or more of postgraduate professional working in social media, including developing content and monitoring on various platforms; experience in graphic or video design is an asset
- Strong understanding of advocacy campaigns and brand promotion
- Experience in working in international institutions
- Sound judgement and excellent understanding of the (social) media landscape, international relations and political developments both in Syria and internationally;
- Ability to understand and communicate needs of humanitarian response while still maintaining neutrality and security;
- Possess strong creativity, initiative and a strong work ethic
- Must be willing to work during irregular hours and on the weekend as required.
Language: Native-level/excellent Arabic and English skills (written and oral).