Background and Purpose of the Assignment:
As outlined in the World Food Programme (WFP) 2017-2020 Country Strategy Plan (CSP), WFP provides support for the Government of Indonesia in some of its development priorities linked to food security and nutrition, aligned with the 2015-2019 national medium-term development plan. These priorities include improving nutrition and the quality of food, as well as mitigating the effects of disasters on food security.
Reporting to the Partnerships Officer, with functional supervision from the Regional Communications Officer, WFP Indonesia seeks to recruit a Communications Officer with the following responsibilities:
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
- Implement country specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, as well as support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to support regular and appropriate communications.
- Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilising platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
- Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate outreach data contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports, Support communications activities that enable informed decision making and ensures consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
- Support capacity building of WFP staff on all aspects of communication, provides advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to ensure that all activities meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact. For example the design and review of training materials.
- Liaise and interact with WFP staff and external counterparts to support aligned activities and a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Other as required.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Relevant work experience in the area of mass communications, particularly in print and digital industry for development thematic areas;
- Experience in devising and executing events management, communications strategy / work plan including social media;
- Experience working within the UN or familiarity with the UN structure and mechanisms, would be an asset;
Education: Degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field.
Language: Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Bahasa Indonesia for written and oral communications.