About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Position: Senior Consultant – Communications and Outreach Consultant
The UNDP Strategic Plan 2018-2021 embraces the complexity of development and commits the organization to helping countries find faster, more durable solutions to achieve Agenda 2030. Important development trends like urbanization, climate change, and inequality pose significant challenges on our path to achieve the 2030 agenda of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
UNDP has begun ideating and incubating several strategic initiatives aimed at ensuring UNDP as ‘fit for purpose’ to deliver a new generation of solutions in line with the challenges the world faces. The new offering builds on the latest thinking from the fields of complexity science, lead user innovation and collective intelligence to accelerate development impact. Read The Fast and The Curious: Our Story so Far to learn about the early achievements of the UNDP Accelerator Labs
Duties and Responsibilities
UNDP Accelerator Lab India seeks to contract a senior consultant to assist the team in planning, coordinating and executing the Accelerator Lab’s media outreach and communication activities for 2020. The consultant will work under the overall guidance of the UNDP A-lab team and also closely work with the Communications team to carry out the following tasks:
- UNDP Brand profiling, Strategic media engagement and outreach support for the team. In this direction, prepare a comprehensive outreach and communication plan for the Accelerator Lab India team for the period Oct 2020 – April 2021.
- Global and National Amplification of Accelerator Lab India’s work through various media channels (Print, Electronic, Radio and Online) including facilitating opportunities for the Accelerator Lab team to contribute Op-Eds as well as articles in leading print media.
- Build at least two communication campaigns during the duration of the contract for a targeted group of audience leveraging the micro-influencer community
- Invest in ad-campaign paid promotions by buying ad-credits and exploring other amplification modes
- Manage the design and production of videos, flyers, social media posts including vlogs linked to campaigns as and when requested by the team. The video shooting and editing rental charges may be charged to project budget and reimbursed on submission of separate invoices.
- Prepare a strong set of communication products in terms of stories, blogs (global and national) and other formats as an outcome of the Accelerator Lab’s field work
- Provide PR support to the team for their key events (workshops, conferences etc.)
- Build overall trust and relations with media and influencers community for overall positioning of Accelerator Lab India
- Provide handholding support to the Accelerator Lab team on media interactions and also in preparing quality press briefs
- Support the accelerator lab in using innovative communication tools and deliver impressive presentations
Required Experiences, Competencies and Skills
The consultant is expected to have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in communication, Development Studies, Social Sciences, or closely related field.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in corporate communications/PR (mandatory screening criteria)
- Track record in terms of proven ability to work in a multicultural setting as well as diverse record of clients
- Previous experience of handling large accounts of which at least three projects were related to CSR, social/development sector.
- Understanding of development context in India’s and UNDP’s activities will be an asset