FAO Bangladesh assists the Government to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
The Communications Specialist is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in the Bangladesh, works in close consultation with the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), the project CTAs and National Project Coordinators. The Communication Specialist shall be working collaboratively with the projects Communications Specialist and be in regular consultation and coordinate with the Regional Communication Officer, FAORAP. The incumbent shall ensure coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs.
The Consultant will work as part of a multidisciplinary team on a day to-day with the overall aim of developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the country office and its projects and funds.
Tasks and responsibilities :
- Design and implement a communications strategy and related works plans in support of the Country Programming Framework (CPF) ensuring alignment with FAO regional and global priorities;
- Work with FAO Bangladesh project/sector teams to ensure a common approach in the coverage of different areas of focus, advise and provide support with sector specific communication needs;
- Contribute to the regular sharing of information on project activities, achievements and lessons learnt with relevant stakeholders in Bangladesh - e.g. government officials, donors, NGOs, academic and research institutions - and beyond;
- Oversee and contribute to the design and finalization of technical policy briefs, brochure, news and other communication materials;
- Explore and organize training and capacity building activities for FAO Bangladesh staff in media relations, social media and strategic communication; and encourage utilization of social media channels for effective messaging; and ensure sustainability of communications initiatives;
- Manage the FAO Bangladesh website; draft project fact sheets, articles, guest columns and social media messages; and monitor media coverage of FAO Bangladesh activities
- Maintain contacts with key information units in the government and UN systems as well as development partners;
- Lead in the preparation of priority communication materials based on the communications plan, and other communication materials as required by the country office and the projects, as aligned to the overall communications strategy;
- Prepare press releases on key activities in close coordination with the FAOR and the project managers and ensure they are released to the audience on a timely manner.
- Arrange interviews and/or press conferences and support FAOR in identifying relevant experts to answer media queries and participate in interviews;
- Work with the projects national communications specialist to design high impact messaging for TV and radio both at national and international level by producing short documentaries, success stories and lessons learnt;
- Select and propose quality photos and videos for inclusion in the FAO corporate photo database; and liaise with the FAO Regional Office and HQ on the coverage of global events;
- Establish a contact list of national and international media (journalists and broadcasters) in Dhaka.
- Undertake field missions to take national/international media to project sites identified by the FAOR and CTAs as very visual and interesting stories for sharing with stakeholder and the world at large capturing the value FAO is supporting the government to attain the SDGs.
- Perform other communications related duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in journalism, mass communications, development communications, or other related courses;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in communication work, including media relations and the use of new and traditional media;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strong project management skills, including keen attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion;
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to changing needs;
- Competent in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders;
- Proactive and solutions-oriented approach to work and the ability to identify and implement effective processes for achieving outcomes;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team and with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Experience in producing a large volume of communication products, including but not limited to newsletters, web and social media content
- Experience in journalism and have worked as field as a reporter.
- Experience in organizing events and high-level meetings;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage workloads under tight deadlines;
- Previous experience working in Bangladesh and/or South Asia will be an added advantage”
- Experience in documentary production
- Experience working in a development and/or humanitarian organization.