Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Islamabad, Pakistan
Closing Date for Applications:
The position is located in Islamabad. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, direct supervision of Deputy FAO Representative and in close collaboration with FAO programme and project staff, and in regular consultation and coordination with the Regional Communication Officer (FAORAP), the incumbent shall:
- Capacity to prepare and implement annual & quarterly communication/visibility plans
- Preparation of annual results report and update of county program framework
- Generation of content from technical programmes, policies and program/projects reports and news report.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Develop/update and implement FAO Pakistan communications strategy in line with FAO global corporate communications strategy and supervise development and implementation of similar plans at FAO Project offices across Pakistan.
- Introduce new and creative approaches to improve the internal and external communication at FAO Representation, Field Offices, and Projects; including improving communications between different sections/ departments and projects for synergizing objectives and goals; Lead the FAO-PAK communication team.
- Ensure FAO Pakistan participation in FAO HQ and RAP communication initiatives with the objective of highlighting the work of FAO projects in Pakistan.
- Ensure eligible staff meet their Senior Official Media Initiatives (SOMI) requirements through media coverage and submit report to FAO Asia Pacific Office.
- Recommend and carry out communication campaigns to mark international days significant to the work of FAO in Pakistan such as the World Food Day and others, and contribute to UN joint communication products and general partners (including UNIC)
- Draft and assist in the preparation of talking points and speeches for FAO Representative and Deputy FAO Representative in Pakistan including exclusive media engagements such as op-eds and TV, radio and newspaper interviews. Supervise and provide support to communication staff at FAO Pakistan project offices including arranging media coverage in national media on need basis. Explore the use of social media at country level within the policy of FAO.
- Develop and distribute press releases, success stories, newsletters, brochures, documentaries, social media posts, publications and prominently engage in outreach and advocacy campaigns, including with local and international media.
- Contribute to the development of communication products such as the publicity materials and products in close association with the multimedia artist/graphic designers and consultants (e.g. briefs, talking points, brochures, posters, power- point presentations etc), to enhance the quality and outreach of FAO programme visibility and messaging to a diverse range of stakeholders, including general public, government of Pakistan, media, FAO headquarter and Regional office;
- Contribute to the development and regular updating of the FAO Pakistan web pages; including the generation of content and uploading a range of public domain publications (e.g. assessment reports, agriculture guidelines) and multimedia products reflecting FAO Programme activities, priorities and areas of expertise;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the supervison
- Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism or Media Studies
- At least three years of progressively responsible work experience at the national /international levels in a related field.
- Strong writing & communications skills.
- A good knowledge of the English language and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
- National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent of experience in Communications and media relations;
- Extend of experience in UN or similar settings would be considered an asset;
- Extent of experience in digital strategy and storytelling
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills in English and Urdu.
- Extent of experience in creating content for various communication products
- Extent of experience in communication, diffusion strategies and techniques, reporting and documentation, and media.