UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Reporting to the Regional Director, Communications Specialist will collaborate closely with the Headquarters, Regional, Multi-Country Office and Country Offices’ (RO/MCO/CO) colleagues to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives. The Communications Specialist also collaborates with RO/MCO and CO colleagues to support outreach campaigns, resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives; The Communication Specialist mobilizes support in conjunction with intergovernmental processes and support the activities and special events organized for UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the development and implementation of communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans for the region, including for MCOs and COs
Conduct communication needs assessments for Regional Office, including projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
Design, develop, and implement communication and outreach/advocacy strategies, including media strategies; ensure gender perspective;
Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
Participate in UN inter-agency Communications Group meetings, and contribute to UN system efforts
Launch in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local/regional campaigns and special events;
Provide advice and guidance to and coordinate with CO/ MCOs in the region.
Lead the development and dissemination of public advocacy materials for the region:
- Develop and produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels according to UN Women corporate standards;
- Identify and leverage opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Provide advice on advocacy materials and coordinate launch of flagship initiatives and publications in the region;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers and other communication specialists to produce audio/ visual material on UN Women’s regional work;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public at the regional level;
- Follow guidelines from and report to HQ.
Coordinate regional communication knowledge building and sharing initiatives
- Coordinate with HQ Communications regularly, through meetings, updates and calls to ensure timely adaptation of corporate communications priorities
- Attend trainings hosted by HQ Communications, to stay abreast of corporate policies and workflows
- Ensure leadership and coordination from the Region to communications personnel in MCOs and COs in the region.
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate to MCOs and COs, based on corporate communications policies.
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned from RO, COs and MCOs ensure exchange of information;
- Monitor and analyze media, web and social media and prepare analytical reports;
Manage web, social media and news media relations for the Regional Office:
- Ensure media strategies are implemented in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media, with a special focus on regional priority areas of concern;
- Lead relationship building with press in country; maintain and update database of relevant contact;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; identify impactful success stories/ issues, media talking points, news-related development and coverage of interest;
- Facilitate interviews with senior and thematic managers; connect media with UN Women subject experts;
- Pitch and write impactful programme stories for corporate platforms: global website, social media channels regularly
- Provide technical and coordination support to the expansion of UN Women’s Media Compact in the region.
- Organize press conferences, and press briefing sessions with internal experts and external partners
Build and maintain communications and advocacy focused partnerships:
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Provide inputs to resource mobilization leads with programme/ results-oriented communications
Oversee the RO’s web/online presence and social media platforms:
- Oversee and maintain (regional) websites, including developing content regularly;
- Keep the RO’s web-presence updated and in the line with corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage (regional) social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
- Coordinate the management of regional social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy or provides inputs to global corporate social media accounts
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s work
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content or the website and social media channels
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Regular interactions with donors, as shown in increased funds
- Regular exchange of information between Regional Office and Country Offices in the region as shown in coherent and relevant regional public presence
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national or international level in journalism, communications or advocacy or public relations, including in media relations;
- Experience in the use of media relations and social media.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of French is an asset.