Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
At MDF, our teams work with businesses, associations and governments in Asia Pacific to help farmers and workers thrive. We use a market systems (MSD) approach to achieve long-term, lasting growth and create sustainable jobs for poor women and men.
Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) is central to our work on the ground, and our teams in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan are dedicated to ensuring that our activities benefit women and girls.
MDF is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT). It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swisscontact.
In Sri Lanka, MDF’s focus is on diversifying tourism with new products and services and supporting authentic Sri Lankan products which promote the country.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The purpose of the Communications Specialist is to develop communications products and local strategies to share the effectiveness of MDF’s approach to relevant stakeholders.
- Under the guidance of the Communications Director and Country Director, lead the implementation of MDF’s Communications Strategy in-country and collaborate with other members of the Country Team for effective country communications.
- Generate high-quality, consistent content for all relevant MDF communications formats including engagement, influencing and learning events, the website, and other platforms. Support Facility-wide communication efforts as and when required.
- Work closely with the Country Team to identify and capture relevant content and stories to be produced; analyse results, make these insightful and “communicable” to a variety of audiences, and suggest ways to improve the Facility's effectiveness and visibility.
- Under the guidance of the Country Director, direct and manage the country communications budget, provide regular updates and ensure activities are on track.
- Lead the production of visual media products, with the support of MDF’s external design and video resources: photos, videos, photo essays, infographics, etc.
- Lead the creative and strategic management of MDF’s social media platforms on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. Ensure all platforms are relevant, up to date, and in line with the overall Facility Social Media Strategy.
- Organise events and visits and generate media coverage.
- Travel when required – for field stories, high-level visit coverage and other requirements.
- Together with the Communications Director, recruit and manage the contracts of Short-Term Technical Experts and lists of retained Technical Specialists/Service Providers (such as photographers, videographers, editors, writers and event managers).
- Ensure that all MDF communications products are in line with relevant DFAT guidelines
- Working with the Country Director and Country Team, lead media engagement; this will include liaising with the media for event coverage, writing press releases, and exploring the media landscape for new engagement opportunities that have the potential to enhance the implementation of the program.
- Contribute to monitoring the impact of communications initiatives and record results.
- For the complete Terms of Reference (TOR) click here .
- At least a bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in a relevant discipline: journalism, communications, marketing, the social sciences.
- Excellent command of both verbal and written English. Sinhala and Tamil fluency would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, engaging content quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to edit written material into concise, engaging formats.
- Highly adept in the creative use of social media, including mining engagement analytics.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office programs. Knowledge of and ability to use other relevant software preferred (photo/video editing and graphic design).
- Experience with website back-end work.
- Demonstrated ability to organise high-quality events.
- High-level planning, multi-tasking and time management skills
- Experience producing video and other multimedia products preferred.
- Good media contacts and ability to engage with local (and international) media.