We are looking for an enthusiastic professional for the position of Communications/Graphic design Intern for a 6 months internship contract. The Communications/Graphic design Intern will provide support to the DRC/DDG Regional communications and advocacy team in a wide range of communications and advocacy related functions as part of the overall strategy of DRC/DDG’s East Africa and Yemen Regional communications and advocacy platform.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people in over 30 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in East Africa and Yemen (EAY) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programs through Country Offices (COs) in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia/Djibouti, Yemen and Uganda/Tanzania with a Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi. The regional office provides support and guidance to the country programmes.
The purpose of this internship is to support to the Regional Office Communications and Advocacy team in a wide range of communications and advocacy related functions
- Assist the Regional Communications and Advocacy team to research, write, edit, update and proof read a range of communications materials for both internal and extenal audiences to ensure consistency and compliance with DRC/DDG branding guidelines.
- Assist with gathering of informtion and photos from the field for success stories.
- Assist the Regional Communications and Advocacy team with implementation of the communications/advocacy strategies developed.
- Support the Regional Communications and Advocacy team to organize extenal launches and events as well as internal programme meetings and events.
- Assisting with the design of reports, brochures factsheets according to the DRC/DDG branding manual.
- Liaising with the procurement department to ensure delivery of communications materials.
- Provide administrative support to the Regional Communications and Advocacy team in arranging media briefings and media coverage on DRC/DDg activities.
- Attending communication/advocacy related meetings as assigned.
- Any other duties within the nature and scope of the position
The Communications/Graphic design Intern will report to the Regional Policy & Advocacy Specialist.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Must have a Bachelor degree in the field of Journalism.
- Must have hands-on experience in using Adobe Creative Suite 6
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Competent IT skills and experience of using email and internet
- Resourcefulness, flexibility, good organizational skills
- Ability ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with people from different nationalities, cultures, ethnic and religious groups across the regions.