Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the CS Officer, the Community Services Assistant will develop and maintain good relations with the refugee population and develop effective community engagement and participation mechanisms to support refugees to take an active role in all aspects of life within the site. He/she will support on the establishment of a transparent and representative governance system in the camp.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with the refugee population, their community representatives, and other stakeholders in the site.
- Develop and support representative committees and community groups, including through facilitating the formation of new groups, coordinating meetings and workshops, and implementing training.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports related to program activities.
Community Engagement and Participation
- Support the CS Officer in training, mentoring the community groups to take leadership on activities and representative committees including the organization of recreational/ cultural activities.
- Train and support the women and youth groups to identify needs and gaps and design community led projects.
- Support the groups in the implementation of the community led projects.
- Ensure community groups are engaged in the camp coordination mechanisms and organize meetings between service providers and the community groups to share concerns, suggest solutions, prioritize interventions or areas based on needs.
- Conduct visits to different Create linkages with other actors in the camp to ensure all camp residents are informed about services and information is shared across the different community groups.
- Support the CS Officer in the camp blocks committees' elections/selections including community consultations, block meetings, nominations and elections.
- Support the CS Officer in leading the camp governance committee's elections ensuring a transparent process based on the UNHCR/SMS sector agreed guidelines.
- Support the CS Officer in the development of the Terms or Reference with the different committees and guide them to ensure they effectively represent the community and prioritize their needs.
- Ensure the camp committees are engaged with the community groups to discuss community level issues and ensure representation of different groups in prioritizing interventions in the community.
- Support the block committees in coordination with the community volunteers to conduct regular service monitoring activities and report to the camp committee, CiC, SMS agency and service providers.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 1-year experience working with an INGO in a formal or informal camp setting
- Experience in Communications or Social Services is desirable
- Willingness to live and work in a challenging environment with limited resources
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.): University education or equivalent experience
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Chittagonian (required)
- English (required)
All DRC staff should master the 5 core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values