The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the SMS Team Leader/Community Mobilization Coordinator and in close coordination with other DRC field units, the Community Mobilization Officer will contribute to the design and implementation of activities intended to improve relations between refugees and host communities and work on enhancing relevance of DRC activities on sites. Furthermore, the Community Mobilization Officer will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s activities. He /She will work closely with other DRC staff, expected to support with interpretation on an ad hoc basis
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute improving collaboration and relations between persons of concern and the hosting community, DRC, as well as other actors on site
- Participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns for activities to improve camp sanitation and organization.
- Continuously monitor and document the needs of the persons of concern
- Identify possibly vulnerability cases and facilitate appropriate action, including referrals to DRC Protection team and specialized services
- Planning, organizing and implementing activities, making sure that they are relevant to the PoC and the result of FGD and community feedback
- Contribute to community engagement by info sessions, outreach, activities and continuous efforts to build strong relations with the community
- Design and implement women/men empowerment activities
- Support with reporting and activity briefs
- Support with other tasks, such as site capacity report, shelter tracker, update of maintenance tracker and referrals to the Site Operations teams
- Support everyday operation of the Help Desk
- Along with other SMS staff, conduct site monitoring and verification exercises
- Monitor and review information from materials, in order to be updated and able to provide relevant information and guidance to PoC
- Develop and edit information material, culturally appropriate and relevant to PoC’s interests and needs
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary
- Perform other duties as required
- University degree in international relations, management, human rights, social science or related field
- Minimum 3 years professional work experience with relevant projects
- Good knowledge of PoC language (e.g. Farsi or Arabic)
- Good understanding of the refugee context in Greece, including legal framework, access to social rights and benefits, stakeholders and gaps
- Experience in representation and networking
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders
- Experience with refugee programming is essential
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics